Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What can I use to fill in or repair a sunroof gasket?

Friends 2003 OB Sedan has a large gap/missing piece in the gasket around the moonroof.  What kind of urethane or something could be used to build it up and finish it off?

Subaru does not sell the gasket - the moonroof assembly only is like $300 or  $400.  Crazy train.

There are used sunroofs locally for $65 so that's not a bad last resort.

The pick and pull near me sold me an entire moonroof assembly for $28 (for my '95 Legacy), which included the gasket (the entire deal was just unbolted from the roof of car) glass, rails, motor, etc.  Anything like that near you or is that the $65 local option?

When I was looking at replacing some suspension bushings in my Civic I saw a video of a guy that

using some duct tape and a kit he mixed...pretty crude.  You might be able to get a urethane kit and remove the glass and create a form using tape/cardboard to hold the urethane in place while it cures.  I don't think it would bond very well to the existing gasket, but that might be worth a shot.  (He used a urethane kit from McMaster Carr that cost about $33.)

I would go with a junker glass with the gasket if possible.  Bolting in new glass with a new(er) gasket sounds a lot easier and less mess with a higher chance of success.

that $65 option, they said "complete assembly"...not sure if they mean glass or complete assembly but either way it'll include the glass (i hope!).  you're right, that's probably the way to go.  still way better than the $500 for new and install.

one u-pull it place here and it's not worth going to, nor does it really carry subaru's, highly unlikely to have anything this new.  i also help out a ton of people for free, i never charge to repair a car, so I don't have time to pick and pull for everyone.

Edited by grossgary

yes - it wraps around the glass.  that sounds like a good option but for $65 that would probably take me way too long.  thanks, that's a good option for future reference.  i'll leave it up to them if they want to source that, i think the $65 option was salivating to them after the $500 quote from the shop. LOL

silly not to supply that gasket separate.  i searched and couldn't find anything close.

Edited by grossgary

Gentlemen,

I have repaired rubber seal missing sections using black silicon seal. The trick is to make a mold of the seal shape using plaster/silly putty/wax or something similar, and then covering that mold with wax paper or handi wrap, to keep the silicone from sticking to the mold after its cured in 24 hours.

After making up the missing or torn section of weatherstripping, trim to fit the original seal and glue in place with more black silicone (24 hour curing time required) or black weatherstripping adheasive.

I've used this method on T Top seals on a Corvette years ago, and on a 300ZX window seal. In both cases the fix lasted a few years until I traded the vehicles. Part of the success was that the seals that I was fixing were of a firmer consistency in the locations where they were installed on the cars. I'm not certain as to how this repair would stand up to constant use on a seal that was flexible or thin. Good Luck!

My supra had some Tijuana hack job sunroof installed. I removed the whole thing and riveted a piece of sheet aluminum over hole w a little silicone to seal. Maybe your friend doesn't want to be as ghetto as me, but there's options. Also, the roof is a good place to lose 50 lbs.