Ultimate Subaru Message Board

progress on my '89 DL wagon

Finally got some time and good weather today!

Finished making the electrical connections in the dash, and replaced the hoses to the heater core. Reconnected the battery, and after sitting for months, the old girl fired up and ran like a champ!

My heater now works great! All the vacuum motor are working, and no more rodent excrement and leaves blowing out the vents!

4x4 still not functioning, so I will have to keep digging on that. Next steps will be to finish installing the dash, recalibrating the gauges, and finishing the stereo install. 

Good to hear the old girl run!  :D

John

Sorry for being slow to post on this. Didn't get notified on responses for some reason. 

Yup, there's like three vacuum motors or actuators this open and close flaps to direct air and regulate the amount of air flowing over the heater core. There are foam seals and gaskets throughout the HVAC system, to seal joints, seal doors, and reduce nose I assume. Time and rodents had destroyed all of these in my system. I replaced all of this with foam weather stripping and batting. I tested the vacuum actuators with a handheld vacuum pump. I also replaced the blower motor. I now have forced warm air, just as God intended! :-)

John