Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm changing the water pump on my '97 Impreza OBS, 2.2L, 5MT. I have the pump off, but the gasket material stuck to the block and pump, kind of split apart. I'm having trouble getting the surface clean. New pump so that part is easy. Any good way to "scrape" the old gasket material off without damaging the aluminum surface?

I'm kind of wondering if someone replaced it before with a paper gasket and some type of sealant.

I did a search and haven't come up with anything addressing it. A couple of YouTube videos show the pump coming off clean, certainly not in my case!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Don't be afraid to get out a razor scraper to get the big stuff off.

A wire brush works well for removing old RTV.

Use 1000 grit sand paper as the final step to smooth out surface imperfections.

Use compressed air or brake cleaner to blow out the bolt holes.

I used a dremel with a small wire brush to clean up the mating surface on the block to remove the sticky crud.  Also used some 1000 grit, as Fairtax suggested, to even things out.  Getting access to this is a lot easier if you remove the timing belt tensioner bracket piece that is mounted to the block just above the water pump (3 bolts to remove IIRC).