Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Biting my fingernails. CEL and a knock.

Hey guys.....wanted to come for some backup. Having some trouble and no idea what could be going on. Story goes like this

I was on the highway on my way to work, and all of a sudden my CEL flashes a bit then disappears. From what I could tell NOTHING else happened. I did have the windows down, and the music up a bit so it's possible I missed something.

I pull into the parking lot, and there is no CEL but at Idle there is a weird flappy knock sound and its idling rough. There is also a very small amount of smoke. I shut the car off. Start it again. Bit of a knock on start but then idles smooth.

I check the oil and the dipstick is bone dry... I haven't noticed any leaks lately and I just had the oil changed 2 months ago. So i put oil in it.....let it run a bit and the knock stopped.

I have a buddy at work who has a code reader and he pulled a misfire on 3 and 4 in the history of the ECU. There was never a CEL except that one time and the oil light never came on...I figure it was the lifters, and maybe and filling the oil fixed it, but still unsure of the misfire.

I was leaving work on the way to pick up my wife and all is well. Knock is gone no CEL...crisis averted. I get on the highway and get on the revs to get up to speed and then all of a sudden the knock is back. CEL is on solid and cruise is flashing...checked the oil level and its good. Knock only happens on rev and a tiny bit on idle. It also doesn't seem to be in limp mode. There seems to be no power loss. 

Attached is video of the noise 

2007 Subaru legacy 2.5i 

Its due for a timing belt job. I just got the kit with the water pump. I was going to do it tomorrow....lifes a bitch huh?

What's my best option? Engine swap? Hopefully my bank will help. If that's the case I don't want to stick with the 2.5i. It's the 4eat. Can I put something in it that isn't N/A? I'm going to have to find a proper mechanic... A full swap is out of my league...

Sorry to hear about you running out of oil. With no lube, that is a death sentence for any motor. Any idea how you lost all the oil??

IMO, your best bet is to replace with another 2.5 SOHC motor. They have a good reputation for reliability. I am surprised you don't want to stick with another 2.5. You, could always swap in a 2.2 from around 2002-02, but I see no advantage to that, unless you find one on the cheap.

Sorry to hear about you running out of oil. With no lube, that is a death sentence for any motor. Any idea how you lost all the oil??

IMO, your best bet is to replace with another 2.5 SOHC motor. They have a good reputation for reliability. I am surprised you don't want to stick with another 2.5. You, could always swap in a 2.2 from around 2002-02, but I see no advantage to that, unless you find one on the cheap.

Nah......He's pretty much gotta stick with stock motor.

2006 they got the AVVL (or whatever they call the active variable valve lift).......Unless he used those heads........even a Phase II 2.2 won't run right....throw codes

That new of a car, I would find a low mileage replacement......easy to drop in and go and there should be lots of low mileage engines in that year range (2006~2009)