Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New suspension and bearings for my 87 Brat.

Well, this evening I finally finished!! Took my brat down a couple of weeks ago to do a bunch of work underneath. Some down time was waiting for new brake lines to come in plus I work 12 hr rotating shift. The front end had started feeling kind of loose over some bumps and overall rode like poop, even though it passed the bounce test. Anything approaching 60 mph caused considerable shimming also. I replaced the original struts and shock some 15 or more years ago.

I installed new Sachs front struts and mounts, KYB Gas adjust rear shocks, new strut rod bushings, new control arm bushings, wheel bearings front and rear. Also replaced right front ball joint, busted boot, and left front outer tie rod end, busted boot. Noticed my brake lines looked like poop too so ordered and installed all four new brake lines. The rear were aggravating. also changed the oil and changed the Redline MT90 in my transmission. My 28 year old daughter dropped by this evening and helped me install the shocks and reinstall my nearly new 185/75-14 Uniroyal, rotated them even though they only have 2k miles. We gave her a bath and tested drove it on the crappiest country roads we could find, we didn't have to look hard around here!  Even she was impressed with the new ride quality, it surpassed my hopes!!! Ran it up to near 70 mph and the old Brat was smooth as glass.

The strut rod bushings were severely compressed and cracked up. The control arm bushings center hole appeared to be pulled off center allowing the control arm to flex and excess amount  to the rear. My rear wheel bearings truly looked pretty good for nearly 240000 miles and had a decent smear of black grease left. But since I had new ones in they went! The new brake lines allowed me the opportunity to flush the old brake fluid out a second time. I had done it maybe 5 years ago and was surprised how dark it was already.

Just thought I would share all this hard work, busted knuckles, swearing, grit in my eye and etc.

Yes it is, and was really nice my middle daughter came over, jumped right end and gave a helping hand. I was past ready to be finished. Plus the Brat was filthy from four snows!!!  We popped the halo tops and went for a nice cruise to dump old stuff at the garbage dump, lol!