Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking to buy an 09 forester xt

I don't like buying a used subaru with the ej 2.5 engine because it could have HG problems.  Of course, if the price reflects that, then OK.  I have a subaru with the ej 2.5 engine.   I have already replaced the HG and, since I have owned it since new, I know it has never overheated, so I'm confortable with it.  You will have no such assurance.

I don't like buying a used subaru with the ej 2.5 engine because it could have HG problems.  Of course, if the price reflects that, then OK.  I have a subaru with the ej 2.5 engine.   I have already replaced the HG and, since I have owned it since new, I know it has never overheated, so I'm confortable with it.  You will have no such assurance.

I wouldn't worry about head gasket trouble on an 09. Yea, head gasket trouble existed much earlier, but was fixed by Subaru on newer models. Overall, Subies are great cars, very reliable, safe, and all wheel drive is outstanding. I hope you buy the Forester.

I really wanted it. Drove great, but they wouldn't give me enough for trade in on my truck, so not this time...

And I knew about the older 2.5s having problems, but for some reason it seems like I remember the turbo ones not having all the issues. Maybe not. But that's why I asked. Don't know a whole lot about the newer ones. Haven't kept up since I got rid of my subie a few years ago.