Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interior oh sh!t handle (passenger assist handle) removal

I'm finally getting around to swapping in the sunroof assembly I got at the junkyard a few months ago.  I cannot recall how to undo the plastic cover that is over the ends of the oh sh!t handle (officially, the "assist grip").  There are two varieties.  One is really easy (there are little covers that have a slot that accepts a small screwdriver and you just pop them open to access the screw).  

The other variety is where the handle goes into a cover that must be snapped over the entire end of the handle.  It basically looks very similar to this WRX handle image I found:

http://www.slidegood.com/02-subaru-wrx-wrx-grab-handle-1661

When I was taking out the sunroof from the donor car, I remember thinking, "D@mn, those handle covers are tricky, I should remember how to do that later so I don't screw up my car."

Of course, I cannot remember the trick to pop them off.

Any tips?

upnorthguy,

They just pop off or pry off using a flat bladed screwdriver, and underneath will be a screw or bolt.

It either pops off from the very end, or from the side, or the end where the strap comes out. Even if you break a tab removing it, simply put it back on with some silicone seal. It'll stay put, but still make it possible to remove it at a later date if necessary.

gb- Thanks.  I knew there was a screw underneath...I was just trying to be careful to not break whatever tab(s) were holding those covers in place.

Prying on the outside of the end covers doesn't do it...you need to try on the inside of the covers (just underneath where the strap goes into the cover).  That pops the cap free and then you can slide the cap towards the center of the handle to access the screws.