Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil disappears and reappears 2003 Legacy

My Subaru shows 2 quarts low and will even turn on the oil light. I fill the oil so it is half way between full and fill and the next day I am 2 quarts over full. missing oil magically reappeared. I checked the oil and no oil was on the dip stick. Drove to Auto parts store to get oil (just a couple blocks) by te time I got out of the store, oil was full again on its own. The other day I was 11/2 quarts low so I got an oil change. I checked the oil level after to make sure the shop had correctly filled it having had issues before. The next day I was 1/2 quart overfull. The third day I was 2 quarts overfull. Now, day 4, I am only a 1/2 a quart over full again. No leaks from the vehicle. Oil will disappear then reappear randomly (or so it seems) The oil is hiding somewhere. How is this possible????

what's the current gas mileage?

does the oil smell like fuel when it's reading high, or at all for that matter?

are you checking on level ground?

what do you mean by "2 quarts over full" - how do you know that if there's no such indicator on the dipstick?

has there ever been any major engine work like headgaskets? 

this shouldn't be possible outside of someone leaving a shop rag in one of the lower head return passages.  even then i can't picture it happening like this.

Edited by grossgary

Somehow, it sounds like oil passages are plugged up, so oil stays in the top part of the engine, then slowly drains down.  Any chance of a sludge build up. Maybe oil wasn't changed frequently in the past?? If gummed up, maybe a can of MMO added to the oil would clean out the sludge.

Does anyone know if a plugged PCV could cause this??

Edited by Rooster2

You need to pull the oil pump and tighten the screws on the back side of the rotor housing......they are loose....and this is why you are seeing an oil light come on.

You also need to wait at least 15 mins before checking oil level.......the Subaru flat engine takes a while to drain back.....there are baffles in the pan.....and it has to flow nearly flat.........and if the car is at a slight angle one side will not even fully drain back at all until the car moves again....holding up to a quart or more inside one of the valve covers...

I think you are getting confused by these 2 things.

I have read of a person that had an engine installed and there was some mix-up with PCV and breather hose routing that lead to odd symptoms one of which was the oil light coming on. He also could hear 'gurgling' in the dipstick tube when the engine was running. can't recall more details.

Definitely, you must be on level ground, pull the stick and wipe it, and wait several minutes. 2 minimum, before checking the level.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan