Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dexron or power steering fluid?

Is Dexron interchangable with so-called 'power steering fluid'?

They seem to have the same base oil but I would guess Dexron may have some additives in it....

The power steering fluid is grayish and no sweet odor...

Thanks,

--Damien

Well there's some kind of mix in there now...we just got a used Forester to replace an Outback which is nearly rusted out (and deserves to die a dignified death).

I bought a small bottle of conventional PS fluid and a quick look seemed to indicate that the base oils are the same... :-/

--Damien

p.s. If I wipe the grease off I'll get me paws dirty and I won't be able to be so alliterative!

It sure does says that but me nose sez somethin' else.

I'm skeptical cuz there's a lot of marketing hoopla regarding all that...hydraulic fluid and ATF may be of the same base oils...I'm not a professional chemist so I don't know for sure.

Dexron II III IV may be exactly the same stuff but I suppose they market them differently in the hopes brand loyalty or advertising works.

They have different additive packages. The additives affect how the fluid reacts with the metals and components in the system.

Certain additives in fluids will cause corrosion of brass or bronze parts.

Certain additives help to protect aluminum parts from oxidation and corrosion. There are also additives to help prevent wear on gears, bearing surfaces, and other moving parts in the system.

You can learn more than you ever thought you wanted to know about ATF, power steering, and pretty much any other kind of oil at BobisTheOilGuy.com

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had the time today to inspect the PS fluid more closely and I thought there was a mix of fluids in there but actually the Dexron was very badly burned.

So I flushed what was in the reservoir and put in a mix of Dexron, regular 'power steering' fluild and some conditioner I bought on sale for a single buck (just for the heck of it).

The so-called power steering fluid does seem to be basically the same thing as Dexron...it had a slightly sweet smell like Dexron (but colorless) and seemed to have the same characteristics (viscosity, surface tension etc.)

End result is the steering whines a little less and the vehicle has some more 'pick-up'.

Cheers!

--Damien

Well I had the time today to inspect the PS fluid more closely and I thought there was a mix of fluids in there but actually the Dexron was very badly burned.

So I flushed what was in the reservoir and put in a mix of Dexron, regular 'power steering' fluild and some conditioner I bought on sale for a single buck (just for the heck of it).

The so-called power steering fluid does seem to be basically the same thing as Dexron...it had a slightly sweet smell like Dexron (but colorless) and seemed to have the same characteristics (viscosity, surface tension etc.)

End result is the steering whines a little less and the vehicle has some more 'pick-up'.

Cheers!

--Damien

Look in the reservoir while the car is idling, maybe have someone turn the wheel back and forth. Look for foam/bubbles. There should be NO bubbles (ok, maybe one or 2 every 20-30 seconds just from the high pressure flow moving fluid around. BUT, whining is often due to air getting into the suction side of the system. The hose or adapter on top of the pump. Sometimes an o-ring is needed, sometimes a new hose or clamp.

you don't want to see this; STOPSBubblescopy.jpg