Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When, where to use Marvel Mystery Oil

Replied to a previous post, but thought this would make a good new topic as well...........

How much MMO do you pour into the crankcase, run for 10 minutes, before
changing oil? Also, how much added to the gas tank? I have used MMO
before, but not on a continual basis. What you say makes a lot of sense.
I should be using MMO more often. Thanks foe an informative post. Think
I will also repost this question as a new topic too.

It all depends on what you're using it for.

I've never used it in the gas tank, but I wouldn't pour a whole quart in there. About a cup should do fine, and that's still more liquid volume than most fuel system / injector cleaners that you buy in a bottle.

In the crankcase again it depends mostly on what you want to achieve wih it.

If you're doing a crankcase flush to clean out severe sludge buildup use a whole quart with the rest regular oil and run the engine for about 20-30 minutes.

For a general cleaning use 1/2 quart and the rest your normal oil and drive it for 50-100 miles or so.

For cleaning out hydraulic lifters use 1/2 quart and the rest 10w-40 engine oil you can leave it in there for as long as you want until the next oil change. If you mix it with 5w-30 run it for 100 - 500 miles and change it.

It's also good to add to the gas for a lawnmower if you're going to store it.

MMO can also be used as an additive in 2 cycle oil to help clean out combustion chamber and crankcase deposits.

It can also be used as a parts cleaner if you have something that needs to soak like an old carburetor.

It all depends on what you're using it for.

I've never used it in the gas tank, but I wouldn't pour a whole quart in there. About a cup should do fine, and that's still more liquid volume than most fuel system / injector cleaners that you buy in a bottle.

In the crankcase again it depends mostly on what you want to achieve wih it.

If you're doing a crankcase flush to clean out severe sludge buildup use a whole quart with the rest regular oil and run the engine for about 20-30 minutes.

For a general cleaning use 1/2 quart and the rest your normal oil and drive it for 50-100 miles or so.

For cleaning out hydraulic lifters use 1/2 quart and the rest 10w-40 engine oil you can leave it in there for as long as you want until the next oil change. If you mix it with 5w-30 run it for 100 - 500 miles and change it.

It's also good to add to the gas for a lawnmower if you're going to store it.

MMO can also be used as an additive in 2 cycle oil to help clean out combustion chamber and crankcase deposits.

It can also be used as a parts cleaner if you have something that needs to soak like an old carburetor.

Thanks for the advise.................Rooster2

I run a half quart in every tank of gas in my subie, I run full quart in my duramax since the day I drove it off the lot brand new in 2005. It will not harm anything at all , evey 3rd or 4th oil change I do a half quart in the oil and let it run 15 - 30 minutes depending on how I'm feeling I guess. If u want to see how well it works, find an old carboned up piston and let it soak in it an hr or so, it will turn all that crap loose.