Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gents

the driver door won't open from the outisde but does from the inside, I assume this is just some plastic piece that has broken and hoping someone can give me a part number or heads up of how to fix

thanks

Tdog

I haven't take a look at the Subaru's door handles, but from what I can see it's similar to others:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_20/body_equipment_exterior/door_parts_latch_and_handle/illustration_1/

When you pull the handle a bar is pushed down, which in turn actuates the door latch. The bar is usually kept in place at both ends by a plastic retainer (#5 in the image) that -sometimes- breaks, letting the bar to get out of position. When that happens I just go to my preferred pull-a-part and get a used one :) Taking apart a car at the junkyard also teaches you how NOT to break the part you are getting (sometimes it's a bit tricky).

One of my cars (Pontiac Trans Sport) had the bad habit of breaking the lever where the bar is attached. But I don't think that's the case with Soobies.

Jarl is correct.

What usually happens is the plastic clip (#5) has broken, or come undone and allowed the rod to pull out free of the outside handle, or the rod has bent out of shape and is no longer long enough to activate the lock.

If the clip isn't in the handle, look for it in the bottom of the door. You may be able to reuse it. If its broken, just buy a new one from the dealership. If the rod is bent too short, remove it, bend it back into shape lengthening it and put it back into place and test the door lock. You may have to relengthen it a couple of times to get the right length.

The only other problem I've come across is the outside door handle may have the tab that the clip and rod go into broken off. In that case, a new or used handle is required.

None of this is rocket science, but the location of the handle at the door's rear and the cramped quarters take some patience and a light source to see what's going on. Some cars require that the glass be pulled from the door first so that you can get to the door handle, but those are rare. Good Luck!

Edited by gbhrps