Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Muffler hanger is straight and won't stay in rubber holders

Bought a new muffler and the steel hangars on the muffler are straight and will just slide right out of the rubber hangars.  1999 Legacy wagon EJ22.

They are also very short - too short to simply try and bend them one way or the other.  Both rubber hangars point "inward" a little bit due to them being a little short to reach.

Seems there has to be some simple way to do this?

We can at least wrap the ends for now with duck tape or something but that's a short term solution.

picture attached

post-3989-0-39952300-1399052178_thumb.jpg

Tap some threads on it about 1/4" and put a hex nut on the end.

i'll bring the tap and die set, i figured it might be hard to find the right thread, sounds like you've maybe done it before?

i'll bring the welder too just in case.

i'll bring the tap and die set, i figured it might be hard to find the right thread, sounds like you've maybe done it before?

i'll bring the welder too just in case.

This is starting to sound like fun...........I will bring the beer...............Rooster2

The closest one that will cut threads should work. Use a thin sided nut and you can slip the hanger over it.

Though if you have a welder it only takes a couple seconds to put a weld around the end.

Plus welding is fun... Until you light the crotch of your pants on fire...