Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been thinkin about boosting, found this...

my supercharged ea81 link.   Ausubaru.   if you google tweety ea81 sc12.  you will have heaps of info. 

http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23606

Also here is a guy in Oz that did the same on a VW beetle which was my inspiration.  This write up is really interesting.  What hedoesnt indicate is how uneconomical the blow thru system can be (as he only had the system on for half a tank) but I soon found out lol

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=65678

Anything to do with blowing your engine with a sc12 or sc14 is in those two threads.  any questions I'm glad to answer.

One thing I want to mention is that if you use a sc12 or sc14 utilise the original tin manifolds if possible.  The mounting screws on the SC are not strong nor large and bolting a plate onto it poses problems especially when you realise the holes go straight through to the spinning and delicate lobes. Easy to scratch them.

Edited by tweety

fair warning, subaru ran 7 psi boost and lowered the compression ratio below 8.0 to do it.  with your higher compression be careful about the boost (just saying don't pick 5 psi from a  hat, do the math).  

Sweet trike tweety... Hehe Munster's theme popped into my head because of the top

I figure a blow through setup with a bypass between the carb and charger to allow it it breathe normally when the switch isn't flipped

I'm a little confused.  Lets take the sC12 or SC14 as examples in this case.  Both SC's came with clutched ribbed pulley.  This enabled the SC to be on or off with a switch from the dashboard.  Here in Oz it was in the Toyota MR2 sports car.

So TallonX if you are going blow thru you dont need a bypass system to take away the SC from the system if not needed.  You will likely need a flap to allow for a filter when the SC is off.

I'm not used to this system. I did the easy way- Suck thru...and I wouldnt recommend it due to its tuning issues and questions on longitivity.

This vid is of the trike with the ea81.   

Sorry for the confusion...

Essentially I would probly use an exhaust dump unit attached to the compression box as the bypass, flip the switch... Clutch on sc engages, dump then switches from na cold air to boosted, In theory anyway.

Good thing there's a lot of room for piping without a spare under the hood lol

I'd do some research on the systems that came out standard in some cars with blow thru systems and copy them.  my 2c.  A blow off valve is a good idea. Good ones cost a lot but are worth it.  Backfire and its piece of mind