Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need tire advice for 1997 Impreza Outback Sport

My 1997 Impreza Outback Sport needs tires all the way around. After doing some research, I've decided that I would really like to get a set of Goodyear Triple Treds for it. The problem is, that my stock tire size is 205/60r15, and they dont come in that size, so as i see it, I have the following 4 options (in order of preference)...

1. Get the next larger size of 205/65r15. I know these tires arent much bigger, but I dont know if they will fit, or if there would be any
issues. If anyone can tell me if this size will definitely work or not, I would really appreciate it.

2. Get the next smaller size of 195/60r15. I know this will work, I'd just like to get some opinions.

3. Find some 16 inch rims, because they do make the tire in 205/60r16. This is added expense, and the tires are already fairly pricey for my budget.

Plus it would take some time to find a set of used 16 inch rims.

4. Find a comparable tire that comes in 205/60r15. I really like the TripleTreds because according to all the tests, they pretty much come out on top in handling, and traction on

both wet and dry roads, in their price range. But if someone knows of a good substitute that is similar in price, I'd like to know about it. The MSRP on the TripleTreds is $135, but I've found them going anywhere from $99 to $145. There is also a $60 rebate from Goodyear up until the end of May.

I'd really appreciate some advice, because the tires are so bad I'm actually not driving the car, and riding with someone else for the time being.

A size larger or smaller will throw off the speedometer, though only by a few percent. Google tire size calculator and compare your stock size to the sizes you're thinking about getting to see how far off it will be.

Most of these the speedometer reads about 3-4mph too fast anyway, so bumping up to a larger tire will help to correct that. Clearance is not an issue with such a small change in size.

16" wheels don't solve the tire size problem because the 16" tire will also be an inch larger diameter.

16" wheels don't solve the tire size problem because the 16" tire will also be an inch larger diameter.

If I went from a 205/60r15 to a 205/60r16, wouldn't the outside diameter of the tire remain the same while just the diameter of the inside opening increases by an inch?

IMO......Unless it is a matter of wanting "bling," going from a 15" wheel to a 16" wheel is just not worth the added cost.

I am confident that size 205/65r15 will fit without any rubbing issues, or any speedo issue. Over the years, I have always gone one size larger on tires to put a little more rubber on the road, and never had any issue. For example...........on my 99 OBW, OEM size is 205 X70 X 15. I went to 215 X 70 X 15 with no problems.

My 95 Impreza wagon came stock with 195/60/15 but am running 205/60/15 right now...they were a tire/steel wheel combo I bought for a mere $40. My speedometer is definitely off by about 3mph when comparing it to my GPS. There's a lot of options in the 205/60/15 size. When these wear out soon, I'm replacing with the 195. If you can monitor your speed and adjust as needed, I see no reason to not go with the 195/60. Otherwise, I'd try to find something in the 205/60/15.