Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback 4eat with 2.2 swap and drivability problems

My 97 Outback has been experiencing drivability issues and I have not been able to pinpoint the source of the problem. The car has about 250k on it now. It now has a 2.2 from a 97 Impreza Outback Sport with comparable mileage and questionable maintenance history. It has been around 20k miles since the swap and I am now experiencing drivability  and power problems. For lack of better description, it is just severely down on power, to the point it doesn't seem like it would even make it up a steep hill any more. Recent repairs include fuel pump replacement after total failure and fuel filter replacement. The catalytic converter has been checked with a pressure gauge to check for blockage. It does not seem to have a "dead miss" or any type of miss for that matter. It is currently at my mechanic's shop and he is baffled. Normally I do my own work, but a recent injury has me catching up on so many other things I have not had the time to work on it myself.

My son has been driving this car as his college car most recently. I am unaware of any events leading up to the poor performance.

The symptoms seem as if either the engine is not getting the proper air/fuel mixture, or possibly the timing is being retarded for some reason when it should not be.

I have also tried swapping out the airflow sensor with a known good one with no help in running condition.

Anyone have any ideas on what else to check? The car ran ok for 20k after the swap (which I personally did) with no major issues..