Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The A/C went out on my car. I took it to a shop, and was shown diagnostic dye was leaking at, or near the lower metal tube connection. The connection is low n the passenger side of the condenser. My question............is this more likely to be a bad O ring, or leakage at the condenser??

I removed the bolt that attaches the tube to the condenser, but no amount of pulling or gentle prying with a pry bar would remove the tubing connector. Are those suckers that difficult to remove??

Thanks for any advise. I figure it is easier to replace the O ring to see if that fixes the leakage, rather then replacing the condenser. The mechanic at the shop thought the condenser had split to cause the leak, but I wasn't convinced. Is the condenser a trouble item, or are they considered super reliable??

If I do have to remove the condenser to replace, does the radiator need to be removed as well??

That one has a dowel pin which can get stuck pretty good. Kinda need to wiggle and twist and pull all at the same time to get it loose.

The condensers like to corrode and develop leaks on the bottom corners where they're exposed to dirt/rocks being thrown at them through the lower grille. If its above that, probably just the o-ring.

Don't need to remove the radiator to get the condenser out. Just have to remove the upper support and push the radiator toward the engine.

Two bolts behind the grille hold the condenser. Remove those and slide it up and out between the radiator and support.

Edited by Fairtax4me