Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you remove rear tailight on a '05 Legacy Wgn ?

Hi ALL!

Just wondering how to go about removing my rear taillight on my '05 Legacy Wagon without destroying the surrounding stuff . I can see water inside of it. I hope to remove it and get it out ! I don't see a crack in it I'm befuddled how water got in there ! OR is this just a big waste of time taking (hopefully) off, because I won't be able to get the water out ??

Many thanks, SubeeTed

subeeTed,

Its really quite easy. There are two plastic plugs in the black plastic cover, between the tail light lens and the tailgate weatherstripping. They either have a phillips screw center that you unscrew until they loosen the entire plug enough that you can pull/pry it straight out, or have a plug within a plug that you pry the center up about a quarter inch until the entire plug can be pried out. Then remove the black plastic molding.

Underneath are two 10 mm screw/nuts to be removed. Then grasp the lens assembly and yank it rearwards about two inches (there is a grip plug on the front of the lens assembly that must be freed up. Simply turn to undo the light bulb sockets from the lens assembly and you're done.

Masking tape a bit of paper towel to a screw driver to dab up the running water, and then use a hair dryer in the bulb openings to dry out all of the moisture. Check the inside seal of the lens for cracks or separation, that you can seal up with silicone seal to waterproof if needed all around the outer lens next to the inner sides. Good Luck!

Somewhere at the top, or near a side, the weather stripping has gone bad to allow water to enter the lens. I was never good at finding the leak to reseal the seal, so

I used an electric drill with a small drill bit to make a hole or two near the bottom of the lens to let the water drain out. That worked out great. Occasionally, the hole(s) would clog with crud to allow water build up, which was no big deal. I would either ream out with a drill bit, or ream out with a tiny nail.

This approach is a lot easier then removing the lens

Hi ALL!

I didn't see the first post.

So I actually went into the manual and found out that you actually have to remove the entire tail light assembly, I was thinking it would be a door only thing to replace the bulbs.

Anyhow, I did remove the assembly and shook the water out. I'll keep an eye on it. I couldn't see any cracks, it was weird to see how dirty it was behind the assembly were it meets the body, I even had a leaf ! Anyhow.... if the water continues, I'll do the drill a hole in the bottom of the unit thing .

Thanks ALL!   SubeeTed !