Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Motor mounts...

I am considering replacing the motor mounts on my EA82. They haven't failed necessarily but they are rubber and I know it would be much easier to do this now than later on when the engine is back in.  My only real hesitation is that I have learned that the aftermarket for all motor mounts comes from TATA in India. I would rather have my eyes gouged out than put in any part from TATA.  They don't necessarily look bad to me but then again they are made of rubber.

What do you think?

replace the transmission mounts because chances are they have already failed.

+1 Man if we had a nickle for every shot tranny mount replaced and for all those that are shot and not been discovered yet. They were poorly designed to augment the pitch stopper set up. It gets adjust improperly then the tranny mounts get stressed and tear or the self lubricating chassis oils them up and they tear.

Edited by skishop69
  • Like 1

+1 Man if we had a nickle for every shot tranny mount replaced and for all those that are shot and not been discovered yet. They were poorly designed to augment the pitch stopper set up. It gets adjust improperly then the tranny mounts get stressed and tear or the self lubricating chassis oils them up and they tear.

Wonder if this is why I have a vibration in my gear shifter and it feels like the engine is pitching forward and back when I accelerate hard...it shakes at highway speeds around 55-65 mph...

Damn Subaru and their self lubricating chassis :D

I like self lubricating chassis's on my vehicles because that part of the chassis will never rust.This new dakota I bought needs to get with the program because it only self lubricates to the middle of the doors,My ram self lubricated to the tailgate...

• Like 1

Back on subject... how do you know all the aftermarket motor mounts come from India?   What about the aftermarket tranny mounts?

I pulled 2 ea82 motors in the past year with 200k + miles.   The motor mounts looked good.     I didn't check the tranny mounts... other than noticing they seemed all 'lubed' up.      What is there, just the one tranny mount?  

Back on subject... how do you know all the aftermarket motor mounts come from India?   What about the aftermarket tranny mounts?

I pulled 2 ea82 motors in the past year with 200k + miles.   The motor mounts looked good.     I didn't check the tranny mounts... other than noticing they seemed all 'lubed' up.      What is there, just the one tranny mount?  

There is a radio show called the Northwest Auto Show here in the Seattle area and the host was talking with a fellow who wanted better motor mounts because his souped up hot rod was ripping them up. Tom Turner the host (who has his own shop) said that all aftermarket motor mounts come from TATA, an Indian company.

http://tunein.com/radio/The-Northwest-Auto-Show-p29382/

http://www.autocarpro.in/ap/features/3817/powerhouse

Edited by MR_Loyale

You could always get the aftermarket ones and slowly fill the holes with window weld urathane.Put a layer in,let dry,put a layer in..It will stiffen them up but maybe they wont fail as easily?I had a set of motor mounts that I did that to because the mounts had separated.The window weld held them together until I pulled the engine then they fell apart..

That or make a set of mounts by drilling a hole through a solid chunk of rubber and using a bolt through the entire thing...

I could handle slightly inferior... if that was my only choice for aftermarket.

Sounds like the window weld eats rubber... does that sound like an accurate statement?

I should post Wanted... new or slightly used OEM tranny mount for ea82.