Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi my name is nick. never owned a sub. it has set for a year and has 250k. anything on timingbelt and all wheel drive system i need to know for repairs. want to upgrade exhaust intake. any other work need to be done to computer. does it have one. sorry to ramble  never been  on a chat site thanks. my cars a 95 impreza outback 2.2 non turbo. also my key wont come  out of ignition in park any ideas. been told park switch

Edited by nickgentry

Welcome to the board and the world of Subaru!

There is a ton of info on this site and a lot of informed members who will answer any questions they can.

As for your key, you sometimes have to rotate or rock the steering wheel slightly to release the locking mechanism for the key. If the wheel was turned in a way that it rests hard on the mechanism you just need to move it slightly to release the lock cylinder. Move and hold the wheel to release the presure and hopefully your key should come out with some wiggling.

Edited by Suzam

Welcome to the USMB, and your new obsession! LOL

95 EJ22 is a good year - non-interference!

If I may ask - why was the car sitting for a year?

There is tons and tons of info about timing belt replacement on the EJ22 - but the basics are this: if you dont know for sure when the job was done last, it is best to do a complete timing job, including cam and crank seals/o-rings, idler pulleys, water pump, belt, and at 250K do the tensioner as well. There are complete kits available online for around $200 (ebay and amazon)

Would also suggest new basic NGK plugs and either OEM or NGK wires (these cars are fussy about wires - cheap aftermarkets generally lead to problems), new air and fuel filters, PCV valve, a thorough check and replacement of vacuum lines.

the search function (top right) will become your best friend.

There is an interlock switch that keeps the key cylinder from turning to the lock position unless the shifter is in park. The switch in the console can get sticky if someone ever spilled a soda or coffee in the console. Remove the two screws under the arm rest lid and the console covers just pull up. Then you have access to the switch to remove and clean it.

Also check all of the fuses. I don't remember which one exactly supplies power to the interlock, but if its blown you'll have the same problem.

Edited by Fairtax4me

My first subaru was an 84 GL wagon. There was no internet like today when i first got it. The hanes book was my firend, and then i discovered the message board in 1999 and whas wholly surprised there was a subaru community, all for a car that no one knew about. Welcome and good luck, 1995 impreza is a good year for reliable subaru