Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 GL10 turbo MPFI questions

1:  this is my absolute first go around with fuel injection.

2: Is there an "idle mixture" adjustment?  It starts hard and smells rich.  Stumbles up through 2100 or so.  Once it warms up its ok.

3: fuel filter; just 1 black metal canister above the brake booster?

4: The fuel pump relay under the dash.  PO put a new relay in and it wouldnt run.  The only way I can get it to run is to jump the big power wire to the big blue wire.  One of the smaller wires always have 12v to it.  What is the 4th wire for? [Green test connectors do not cycle the fuel pump]

Edited by opus

the relays are same as headlight ones as well, could try interchanging to see, mark which was which though.

Look at gen relay, they have a pair of copper male spades, and a pair of brass male spade terminals.

Study the top of relay for its one way up shape, study printed sketch on side of relay to see orientation, the lighter duty switching coil side of the relay uses the two brass coloured spades which is diagramed on side of relay as well, looks like an Evil Knievel launch pad, jump and landing, the heavy power for the pump is carried into one copper spade and out of the other once 12V is energised across the two brass spades. The jump is path of power being switched, is there a curly diagram as well ?? that is the switching coil, does nothing but create path for heavy power.

Which is why four wires.

So, with the relay can be rigged so you extend wires to be able to jumper the two brass with 12V = and 12V neg, shoul trigger the heavy side to power up, if you get me ?? Extra fuses are great for beginners like self, add one to your jumper wires in case !!

No idle mixture adjustment as such, that is the O2 sensor when it is at op temp, it controls the ECU controlling time fuel squirters are on ...

Edited by jono

Ok, the 2 copper heavy spades I understand.  The brass trigger volt spade I understand.  That means the left over brass spade is ground....correct?  Nothing happens.  The green connector doesnt run the pump like it should.  I am thinking there is a ground issue but not sure.  If in fact the other brass spade is for a ground, I can ground that somewhere and see what happens.  I didnt want to do anything til I was sure.

I saw the diagram on the relay but none look like they are ground.  In a headlight relay there is a ground spade.

O2 sensor is new.  Trying to figure out why it starts hard.

When was the last time the injectors were removed & serviced?

They gum up over time due to them being a magnetic device & need to be cleaned & demagnetised.

I've owned it for a week.  Havent a clue.

I'm starting by replacing the Autolite spark plugs.  Then I'll run some Seafoam through it....then I'll......

mileage? Usually do injectors about 100 000km/60k miles

If you can remove them yourself (which can be a bit of a fiddly job), costs about AUD$100 to get done. Much more with labour to remove & replace vs others cars with a single, easily accessible fuel rail (which is why they don't usually get done in Subarus)