Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Couple questions for replacing a bad 99 DOHC 2.5 with EJ22

Picked up a clean 99 Outback with a busted DOHC 2.5 (Rod right through the block)

00606_9Lddk9LJKF2_600x450_zpsfa0346a4.jpg

Had a few questions/confirmations before I hopefully go pull a motor for it tomorrow.

I know 99 was the transition between phase 1 and phase 2. Are all the DOHC motors phase 1? Car has 01/1999 date so I'd think it's on the early side?

If so, am I right that any 1990-1999 EJ22 should be a drop in with the possibility of swapping intake manifold and associated parts and possibly the exhaust manifold if I'm putting a single port exhaust motor in there?

Car-part.com asks for a specification between automatic & manual transmissions for engine swaps. Can a throw a motor from an automatic in there to mate with the manual trans of the outback? (after swapping flywheel)

Any other thoughts or advice from those of you who have put ej22s in to replace the DOHC motor?

all 1999 EJ25D's in Legacy and Outbacks are plug and play, bolt in - the same engines as 1996-1998 EJ25's, so there's absolutely no difference when swapping an EJ22.  there's no "early" or "late".  i can tell by the picture yours fits that.

1995-1998 EJ22 is plug and play.

1990-1994 will require a 1995-1998 EJ22 intake manifold to plug and play.

single port exhaust EJ22's will require the ypipe to go with it.

EGR doesn't matter for swapping - the car runs fine no matter what you install, i routiney and purposefully install non-EGR engines in because there's fewer parts, but in states with emissions/inspections or if you're anal and can't stand check engine lights you'll have to tread differently.

if the EJ22 doesn't have EGR you'll have a check engine light with no way to work around it.  i've used a non-EGR intake manifold, engine side wiring harness, installed a non-EGR ECU, and cut the EGR wire - and you still get a check engine light.  there must be some complex wiring on the body side that triggers the ECU into thinking it's an EGR equipped vehicle. no one has figured that out yet.

you can work around the EGR issue if you get an engine without EGR but an intake manifold that does have EGR.

Edited by grossgary

Great! Just what I was hoping to hear. The closest yard to me has a 92 Legacy automatic that looks like it was in a minor front end collision. (Hopefully drove itself to the accident.) and a nice clean looking 96 legacy sedan.

if I've been researching right, the automatics should be EGR motors. So if all is there, I can get the 92 motor with the 96 intake manifold and have a drop in motor that is dual port and non interference right?

I put a 95 2.2 into the same car you have except auto. It was quite easy and turned out great. You will have to loop 2 vacuum lines together on the front on the intake. A little tricky because they are different sizes but not bad. Also on the passenger fender well you will have to t 1 vacuum port to 2 hoses. Other than that it is pretty much plug and play. Good luck.

You have a nice looking white 99 OBW. I have a 98 with a transplanted 95, 2.2 motor. It runs sweet,. The 2.2 motor is nearly "bullet proof,"........one of Subarus best.

The automatics in the 99, have a tendency to develop "delayed forward gear engagement." This can be fixed using Trans-X additive to the ATF. I hope you don't have this problem, but will talk you through the solution if need be.

No problems there. This car is a 5 speed.

Which brings me to my next question - does it matter which clutch goes in there? I'm putting a new clutch in because the existing one is at least 7 years old. Parts listings show different clutches between 2.2s and 2.5s. Which one should I get?

Not tryi g to thread jack here but it seemed relating to the topic. Im doi g the same swap and I want to get more power at the same time. When I did a franken motor swap everybody said to get delta torque grind cams .when I see people just doi g the regular 2.2 swap no o e mentions them. Is it not a good idea to swap in the torque cams if its just a 2.2? Wont really hurt anything g but my wallet I just want to do it all while the engine is out.

when doing a franken motor you're already pulling the heads - so installing a cam isn't much extra work.

when doing an engine swap, the engine isn't actually coming apart so adding cams is a bit more additional work.

though new timing belt, valve covers makes sense before engine goes in...so that may be getting done anyway.

Great! Just what I was hoping to hear. The closest yard to me has a 92 Legacy automatic that looks like it was in a minor front end collision. (Hopefully drove itself to the accident.) and a nice clean looking 96 legacy sedan.

if I've been researching right, the automatics should be EGR motors. So if all is there, I can get the 92 motor with the 96 intake manifold and have a drop in motor that is dual port and non interference right?

96 intake willbe EGR, but the 92 heads will not have the port tapped for egr.  and 92 heads may npot be able to be tapped fir the egr

best to get whole engine and intake from 95 automatic.  that is the magic drop in engine.