Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBW, drive shaft u-joint(s)

My Outback just started the squeaky, squeaky noise which I think must be drive shaft u-joints. This is my first experience with this problem on a Subie. Sounds pretty much like other cars that I have owned that developed u-joint squeaky dry bearings.

How difficult is this problem to fix? Anyone been there done this??

the u-joints are factory sealed and are not really replaceable,

it is not a ''remove clip, drive out joint'' process like it was in my 67 dodge pickup .

having said that there are some drive shaft shops that do it.

the price is probably cheaper than a ''new'' shaft,

but more than a used shaft.

could it be a wheel bearing?

squeeeaaaaaak-squeak! ........ squeeeaaaaaak-squeak! ........squeeeaaaaaak-squeak! ........squeeeaaaaaak-squeak!

squeeeaaaaaak-squeak! squeeeaaaaaak-squeak! squeeeaaaaaak-squeak! squeeeaaaaaak-squeak!

squeeaaaak-squeak! squeeaaaak-squeak! squeeaaaak-squeak! squeeaaaak-squeak! squeeaaaak-squeak!

squeaak-squeak! squeaak-squeak! squeaak-squeak! squeaak-squeak! squeaak-squeak! squeaak-squeak!

squeak-squeak! squeak-squeak! squeak-squeak! squeak-squeak! squeak-squeak! squeak-squeak! squeak-squeak!

squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-

squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-

squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak...

Edited by CNY_Dave

agreed, verify source first.

Rockford and others make replacement usable.  Rockford is pricey.  It requires a bit of a custom installation, though it comes with directions (which i think i've posted pictures of before on here, subaruxt.com or another subaru forum).  but it's not terribly difficult at all.  an automotive machine shop may do it or a driveshaft shop will for sure.

Had my mechanic check things out. It became apparent that the hand brake drum brake unit was the source of the squeaky squeaky. PO had someone work o the unit, and had installed the bottom spring wrong, so it stuck out, and rubbed on something. Installing the spring correctly fixed the problem. I had heard the noise for a long time, but never thought too much about it, until it decided to get a lot louder.

Mechanic also pointed out that rear struts are toast. Lots of fluid leaking. I am surprised the car still drives well. Guess not all the shock fluid has not pumped out. Will shop on line for some KYBs.

Thanks to all who responded.

Sure it's not the brakes?

The u-joints can be replaced but you need to do some drilling/cutting/grinding to remove the staking that holds the bearing cups in.

TheUJointstore.com carries replacements that install with an inner snap ring.

I just press the cups out....the force of the press blows out most of the "stakes".......then I use a Brake hone and/file to remove the rest once the cups are out.

Autozone carries a replacement oint that then fits into the yoke and clips inside..DL4130?

Easier than it seems at first.

• Like 1

I just press the cups out....the force of the press blows out most of the "stakes".......then I use a Brake hone and/file to remove the rest once the cups are out.

Autozone carries a replacement oint that then fits into the yoke and clips inside..DL4130?

Easier than it seems at first.

Thanks.