Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 wagon dash lights

This one is probably only for folks with 85 cars- My rear wiper switch, and mirror control look like they should light up but they don't. Anyone know if they are supposed to? Later model mirror switches are just painted with no clear part. I've got both switches from a later car on my bench, but I don't see anything like a bulb to change, does not look like they could receive ambient backlight from other dash lights, either -or is there some dead diode in there?

There is a globe inside the wiper switch, and later ones do line up also.

This is not the same for the mirror switch, where the later ones don't light up.

You need to pull out everything from the back. There are some tabs on the sides which you need to lift (VERY GENTLY) and be simultaneously wiggly the wires to pull it through.

Post up some pics & I can highlight where if my description is confusing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks, got the wiper switch lit, the mirror bulb seems unfindable, I am still looking for a replacement. Changed the lighter socket bulb, too.

All my dash lights went out last night! The fuse is good -I am trying to trace the circuit (?) The only thing lit on my dash now is my ashtray:-)

My Subaru "BumbleBeast" is 1985, and yes... those Switches has background lights... micro bulbs.

... All my dash lights went out last night! The fuse is good...

Check if Also one of the HeadLamps went Dim along that issue; if so, one of the Two HeadLamps' Relays went wrong.

More info & Photos here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/87523-how-to-swap-the-old-roundie-relays-with-standard-bosch-relays/

Kind Regards.

All of the dash lights are powered this way (on pre 87 models, can't confirm for the later ones):

+12 volts through the parker switch to the globe

globe is then earthed through the dimmer switch

The ashtray light doesn't dim (the last thing you need is not finding the ashtray with a lit cigarette and catching your interior on fire...), but is earthed out directly.

So from your symptoms, I'd be checking the "earth" side of the circuit, and the connection to the dimmer switch.

I can't remember if its the red wire, or the red/green wire

Does your mirror switch have provision for a light? Because Subaru got cheap with the series 2 and deleted that provision.

I've previously sourced the series 1 (not available in Aus) and found they all did though.

I've added that style to later one using the green globe out of a rear wiper switch though, so if you want it to remain orange, get yourself another rear wiper switch and use that globe

Thanks, wagonist -I suspect the dimmer since it has been weird before.

I had the mirror switch apart, but the bulb is much smaller than the one in the wiper switch. The globe was tiny and clear -it came off with its little white base -wires on the board with no solder. I think the color was ambient within the enclosure, but I've never seen it lit. The spare switch I have is the unlighted kind, no bulb to steal.

If anyone has sourced this bulb, lmk.

I am hesitant to take the dash apart (as always) without a replacement Headlight switch in hand, so if anyone has one, meet me in "stuff wanted", send me a message. It's pretty specific to the 85 car -don't know when they changed it.

I'll be guessing my speed in the night until... ;)

Edited by rrgrr

Thanks, wagonist -I suspect the dimmer since it has been weird before.

I had the mirror switch apart, but the bulb is much smaller than the one in the wiper switch. The globe was tiny and clear -it came off with its little white base -wires on the board with no solder. I think the color was ambient within the enclosure, but I've never seen it lit. The spare switch I have is the unlighted kind, no bulb to steal.

If anyone has sourced this bulb, lmk.

That reminds me, I think I may have removed the globe from the white base & swapped them, or else I took the globe out & went to an electronics store for a replacement (sorry it's been about 15 years...).

They're not soldered it, just the wires hanging off the globe are wrapped "through" the white part

Dimmer switch should be the same for all pre 87 models.

Either that, or get the later dimmer & do a bit of fiddling with the wiring. It fits in the tall rectangular spot next to the early headlight switch. Just can't remember off the top of my head how many wires are on it.

Well I had the headlight switch apart, couldn't see anything wrong with it.

I have a later model dimmer, but I can't seem to decode the switch harness. Tried pinning power and ground on the connections, but did not get the lights to light up. Can't even get a flicker out of the knob like it used to. I am entertaining the thought that some weird surge burnt all the bulbs simultaneously.

There's some hacky stuff with the radio wiring I haven't quite figured out, a splice that shouldn't be there -the keyed power/constant power are screwed up and I had the radio out a couple times, trying to sort that -probably coincidental, but...

If anyone has any ideas, or an 85 switch, please help me out!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Broke down and got the replacement headlamp switch from r.a.,which restored my dash lights. Except the parking lights w/key off position does not do anythingi. Still not sure what is going on there, or if the new switch is correct with that position. I kind of like that feature, but I Need dash lights, so it stays.