Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy Wagon Limited - How to make it more "cool"?

I had been looking for a good deal on a safe and reliable used car for my 16 year old daughter.  By chance, I found an awesome deal on a '05 Legacy Wagon Limited.  It was a one owner (an 84 year old lady) who had the oil changed every 3 months at the dealer (carfax proves this), with 103k miles.  She was only asking $3500 for the car.  Apparently, that is what another dealer offered her in trade, so she said she would sell it to me for that.  Obviously, I jumped on it.

Since then, I have had almost 2k worth of work done to it to make it as perfect as I can.  I had both front axels replaced (it had a torn boot), both front struts replaced (one was making a thumping noise), replaced the timing belt, had a power window motor replaced, replaced a worn stabilizer bar, and a few other odds and ends.  Even with a total of almost $5500 in the car, I still think I got a steal.

post-53923-0-19214700-1403787310_thumb.jpg

I made my daughter pay 20% of the car so that she would have more of a sense of ownership, etc.  She loves that car and takes great car of it - washing it all the time, all that stuff.  But, I do not think she is crazy about the "looks" of the wagon.  She jokes that it looks like a "grandma" car and even named the car "Grandma".

Well, she just took the ACT test and did fantastic.  I think she did well enough that she should be in line for a few nice scholarships.  As a reward, I wanted to do something to make the wagon more "cool", but I am having a hard time coming up with ideas.  I thought maybe I could have a light tint put on the windows?  She would love it if she could connect her ipod to the stereo, but I'm not sure that's possible except maybe with a RF transmitter.  So, what do you guys think?  How can I make an 05 Wagon cooler?

Thanks!!

post-53923-0-19214700-1403787310_thumb.jpg

^^^ + 1 for tint, rims (check out Rota for 'affordable' models, also TireRack.com and I think Discount Tire have utilities at their websites that let you load an image of YOUR model car and 'try-on' rims)

LED lighting upgrades and xtras.

new head unit - prolly new speakers, check Crutchfield.com or any experienced posters that reply here would be good resources too.

(I raised 3 daughters, they also helped pay for their cars. I split major repairs with them, but they had to pay for normal maintenance and tires, etc.)

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks Lucky.  Regarding the head unit:  Since the stereo and the automatic climate control seems to be integrated, is it practical to replace the head unit?  Would something need to be fabricated?

Thanks Lucky.  Regarding the head unit:  Since the stereo and the automatic climate control seems to be integrated, is it practical to replace the head unit?  Would something need to be fabricated?

Yup, nearly impossible to easily swap out the head unit. I have seen some earlier posts where people hardwired the unit with an aux input. I will poke around and see if I can locate them if you are dead set on some serious work.

I know where you are coming from wanting to reward your daughter but honestly, the wagon will always be "grandma". This will always be the case unless she is the outdorsy/sporty type who needs room to haul stuff around.

Why don't you do what I did which was to drive the wagon myself and I bought my daughter an 05 sedan.

Even if you were to sell the wagon for what you put into it and just broke even, your daughter would likely be happier with the sedan.

Congratulations on the ACT scores, scholarships or not. Be proud.

The wagon will not always be "grandma" lol. Come on. Just do some of the things we've suggested, and it'll be seen completely different. There is always the lift and bigger tires route too. All depends on what she's into.

Do you have a teenage daughter?

Seriously... lift, bigger tires, tint?

I would have jumped at those suggestions when I was a teenage boy but I'm not sure how much more this scholastic young lady will groove on Grandma even with shades, high heels or a "lift".

well, it certainly 'could' = g'ma.

interior detailing, maybe some seatcovers (covercraft/katzkin) etc. If she's involved in picking rims, maybe tint, maybe some other items -it'll feel more new-ish to her.

At present my adult kids are driving; oldest daughter 1987 (yes 87) Volvo wagon, middle daughter, a 2010 Mazda 3, youngest 2006 Impala

their first cars were; late 90s Toyota Camry sedan, 1990 Maxima, 1996 Maxima

My kids were thrilled not to be walking....ymmv

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

Yup, nearly impossible to easily swap out the head unit. I have seen some earlier posts where people hardwired the unit with an aux input. I will poke around and see if I can locate them if you are dead set on some serious work.

I know where you are coming from wanting to reward your daughter but honestly, the wagon will always be "grandma". This will always be the case unless she is the outdorsy/sporty type who needs room to haul stuff around.

Why don't you do what I did which was to drive the wagon myself and I bought my daughter an 05 sedan.

Even if you were to sell the wagon for what you put into it and just broke even, your daughter would likely be happier with the sedan.

Congratulations on the ACT scores, scholarships or not. Be proud.

Oh I wasn't aware that all girls were the same! My sister loved when she lifted her forester and put bigger tires on it. And subaru wagon does not = grandma.

Don't get granny's bloomers all bunched up. I believe my initial statement highlighted above makes room for all kinds of teen drivers, in this case gals. I have heard similar comments from teen boys who envisioned themselves boy racers with a neato wing on the back of their car and not wanting an Outback.

The original poster raised the point of granny cars so if his daughter had a preference, perhaps a swap at this point would be more in order than sinking more $ into this car. Just sayin'

I really appreciate the responses guys!  I especially love the pics of the Subaru on tracks - that was awesome.  My daughter is a girly-girl and would not be into the big tire/lift kit look.  Here's my plan:  I will definitely tint the windows.  On a blue car, that should dramatically change the look.  I will check out seat covers and let her pic out a cool set.  It currently has black leather seats which she says gets very hot in the summer, so that, along with the tint, should help.  I will probably not get rims.  I like the stock rims.  I have a buddy that owns a car audio shop.  I will talk to him about some sort of ipod connecter.  Maybe he can hook me up.

Above all of that, I will encourage her to "own" and embrace the nerdiness.  If she acts like it is cool, it will be cool.  My first car was a '76 Grenada, perhaps one of the 10 worst cars of the last 50 years.  But somehow, I made it cool.

Personally, I have always been a Honda guy and had never really considered a Subaru.  But I've got to tell you, I really love that little Legacy.  For my next car, I will definitely look real hard at Subaru.

If you can, slip in some 'cool' stuff that'll add to the safety a little. Easiest is a Bluetooth stereo so shes not talking on the phone with one in her hand. I'd also consider some better lighting out front. I'd wait a year and see how she drives at night before adding tint as it can throw some weird night light around in addition to being more difficult to see. Been there. My daughter is 22 now and has been driving a white 93 Chrysler New Yorker with red interior. It came from a lady who got too old to drive. Her name was Erma. That's Grandma if I ever heard it.

use a **wired** RF transmitter - don't use the wireless ones, those are the ones everyone complains about.  just for example:

http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS31-Antenna-Modulator-Aftermarket/dp/B002U5XPBE#

antenna plugs directly into box and the box plugs into the back of your existing stereo.  simple and much better than the wireless transmitter types.

you typically install a button to turn it on - if you don't really use the stereo - just wire it to always be on via the fuse box with something that's powered ignition-on and then have a button tucked away somewhere to turn it off if need be.

i think i have to turn mine off to listen to the radio for instance as it'll overpower it, but not sure they're all like that and i haven't used mine in awhile.

if she uses a garage door - get a rear view mirror with compass and homelink.  it'll have a few buttons you can program to open garage doors, turn on lights, anything powered via remote.

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 1

Wheels, tint, hatch spoiler, maybe a front lip from ebay. You can definitely make a wagon look sportier.

Yea my same thoughts on the above. Best to ask your daughter what upgrades she would like to have one the car.Then you would know for sure what would make her happy.

Also, congrats on her high ACT tests. If she receives multiple scholarships from schools, you can use those scholarship offers as bargaining chips to get the school she really wants to attend to meet competitive scholarship offers from other schools if need be. I learned that, when my daughter went to college...........saved a bunch more money, by getting them to increase their scholarship offer to match or beat other offers. All you have to do is ask for it.

• Like 1

Coincidentally, Cougar posted on the following link a youtube video on how to access/remove/replace/modify the hvac/radio combo. Adding the aux would still be another task in the world of soldering to the board but if you opt to replace the head unit, here's how.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/147297-radio-volume-going-crazy/?do=findComment&comment=1237126

Edited by brus brother