Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBW, holes in fuel filler tube

My 99 OBW has holes in th efuel filler tube. Last fall, I removed it to find it in bad shape. I had a friend weld strips of metal around rusted out areas. That has held up until now, but I am sure the new CEL is advising the tube is bad again, as the code refers to the evap fuel system.

I listed on the "parts wanted" section of this forum, my wanting to buy a new or used tube, but no response. Is this a dealer only part, and not available at part stores? I prolly could find a replacement at a local wrecking yard, but with winter salty roads here in Indiana, I have my doubts on finding a good one at a wrecking yard.

Anyone have advise??

Thanks,

Larry (Rooster2)

Looks like you can find them online (e.g. partsgeek.com for $73 looked to be the cheapest option). I'd be willing to try and grab one next run to the yard.  Hardly any rust on things down here in VA.

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it. If your yard has cars up off the ground, so you can easily get underneath the car, then pulling the filler tube off is no big deal. If car is mired in mud up to the axle, then you wouldn't even want to think about removing the fuel tank filler neck.

I clicked on the partsgeek link. I haven't bought anything from them. I have seen their prices are good, but read some reports on the internet that their customer service is poor. That scares me off. It would be my luck to order, and then have an issue, and Parts Geek would be unresponsive.

Looks like you can find them online (e.g. partsgeek.com for $73 looked to be the cheapest option). I'd be willing to try and grab one next run to the yard.  Hardly any rust on things down here in VA.

The partsgeek fuel tank filler neck for $73 is the one that suppose to fit my 99 OBW with the 2.5 motor. However, my filler neck does not have the vent tube as shown on the website. Well, maybe my filler neck does use the vent tube, and the last time I removed it to patch it, I may have disconnected the vent tube from the neck. I just can't remember. It is hard to see in the picture if the vent tube disconnects, or is constructed as part of the filler neck. Anyone know??

Parts Geek also lists # 397-07141638 and # 397-06014486 that look like mine, with no vent tube, but say they are designed for the 2.2 motor. My 99 has the 2.5 motor. Any advise on how to proceed?   Thanks!!

Edited by Rooster2