Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What else to fix? Removing Engine for HG repair.

I have a 2003 2.5 L AT Outback Wagon with 170000 miles.  I have had a small  external HG coolant and oil leak since about 120,000 miles, which has been worsening very slowly.  It started on the drivers side gasket, but after a while, the passenger side gasket also developed a leak.  It drips on the exhaust manifold, causing a burning smell, and occasionally some smoke.  It runs well, but I will eventually want to sell or trade it in, and oil all over the bottom of the car is not a strong selling point!

I am finally getting around to changing the head gaskets.  

When I remove the engine, I am planning to replace any other areas of potential leakage, such as cam and crank seals, valve cover and spark plug gaskets, etc.

I changed the timing belt , water pump and thermostat at about 110,000 miles.  I also replaced a bad timing belt idler at that time.

I am planning to keep this car for probably a year or less, then try to sell it. 

Is there any need to change the rear main seal, or oil separator plate (as long as it's not the plastic one?)

Plugs and wires are recent.  I will be replacing the intake and exhaust gaskets, of course.

Is there anything else I should be changing?  

Matt

Not so sure you have to remove the engine. I had the HGs replaced on my 99 OBW a couple of years back. I had a Subie dealer tech guy do the work as a moon light project. He never removed the engine. I think he loosened engine mounts, and dropped exhaust at the front, then jacked up each side for HG access. Sounds easier then removing the engine. At same time, he replaced the water pump, timing belt, pulleys, and thermostat. He also replaced the A/C, and alternator belts.

Thanks for the reply.  I probably don't HAVE to remove the engine, but I think it will be easier with it out.  The clearance on the sides of the engine are pretty tight with my car.  I've seen some people do it on youtube, but it involved a lot of moving the engine up and down, back and forth, and quite a bit of swearing.

Also, I think it would be easier on my back to be able to work on the engine without having to bend over the side of the car.  

I have an engine hoist already, so I am leaning toward full engine removal.  Then I could also check the rear seal or oil separator plate if necessary.  

I don't know.  Maybe I am being stupid changing the HG, but I just think it would be easier to sell when fixed.  There is some rust on the rear wheel wells like most other 03 outbacks I've seen, but mechanically it is pretty good otherwise.

Matt.

Thanks for the reply.  I probably don't HAVE to remove the engine, but I think it will be easier with it out.  The clearance on the sides of the engine are pretty tight with my car.  I've seen some people do it on youtube, but it involved a lot of moving the engine up and down, back and forth, and quite a bit of swearing.

Also, I think it would be easier on my back to be able to work on the engine without having to bend over the side of the car.  

I have an engine hoist already, so I am leaning toward full engine removal.  Then I could also check the rear seal or oil separator plate if necessary.  

I don't know.  Maybe I am being stupid changing the HG, but I just think it would be easier to sell when fixed.  There is some rust on the rear wheel wells like most other 03 outbacks I've seen, but mechanically it is pretty good otherwise.

Matt.

Yea, no question, pulling the motor is a lot easier on the back, as well as, ease of replacing things once the engine is out. When installing the motor, be aware of the need to properly "seat" the tranny and torque converter. Failure to do so, ruins the tranny. Chances are you already know this.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: