Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 turbo removal ?s

1. how does the pipe from the filter adapt to the plenum?

2. where does the oil supply come from the engeine?

3. where does the oil supply return to the engine?

4. is there coolant passages?

5. what does the 2 wire senson on the heat shield do?, will it affect performance when disconnected?

83 ea81 turbowagon

1. how does the pipe from the filter adapt to the plenum?

Not sure whot you want to know here, are you talking from the air filter into the throttle body? If so, then there is a plastic tube that runs from the VAM (air meter) to the turbo, then an aluminum pipe that goes from the turbo into the throttle body. Check the gallery, you can see a bunch of turbo pics in there.

2. where does the oil supply come from the engeine?

The oil feed for the turbo comes from the oil pump/cooler adapter, there is an output on it, to that hooks a hardline, that run straight into the top of the turbo.

3. where does the oil supply return to the engine?

The oil dumps straight out the bottom of the turbo down a tube with a 90 in it, into the side of the head, down where the pushrod passages are, there is a hole, with a steel pipe sticking out of the head.

4. is there coolant passages?

Coolant passage in the turbo? or too the turbo? Either way, the later (84's) and ones that have had the upgrade done at the dealer do have water cooling. The water comes from the plug on the underside of the head (passenger side) goes through a steel hardline, then a softline into the turbo, then out of the turbo into a softline, and into the T-stat housing.

5. what does the 2 wire senson on the heat shield do?, will it affect performance when disconnected?

It is a heat sensor, turns on the electric fan. If you remove it, you will need to come up with another way for the fan to turn on. Like a toggle or sumpin.

Hope all this helps.!

1. loosen the hose clamps on both ends of the plenum. simple pop ut up and towards the front of the car. thereis a hose from the aav valve that goes to the bottom of the plenum, you can simple leave it connected and let the plenum hang out the way. the hose may be brittle and crack, if so, then replace it with 1/2 inch hose.

2. the oil supple comes off the back of the head, around the turbo flange mount, and to the top of the turbo. you can remove it from the turbo itself if u like, i would only remove the line from the HEAD if the motor was OUT. dont lose the copper crush washers. its recommended tou replace the crus washers, but i have re-used them without a problem. i have heard of people drilling holes in pennies to use on brake line applications.

3.the oil RETURN is the fat rubber hose that goes to the back of the head with the tension clamps. replace it with 5/8 silicone hose.

4. my last 83 turbo was both oil and water cooled. the water line comes from what would be the drain plug on the head of a N/A. it comes up from the passenger side head, along the bottom of the valve cover, and up tpward the turbo. it turns into a rubber hose that meets the bottom of the turbo. the return line is the one that runs under the intake plenum. replace those with 1/2 inch hose. since the bottom hose curves around 90 deg, have an extra 2 inches or so of replacement hose(non molded) to allow enough room to bend without kinking.

what they said. TOGLE SWITCH!

1. loosen the hose clamps on both ends of the plenum. simple pop ut up and towards the front of the car. thereis a hose from the aav valve that goes to the bottom of the plenum, you can simple leave it connected and let the plenum hang out the way. the hose may be brittle and crack, if so, then replace it with 1/2 inch hose.

2. the oil supple comes off the back of the head, around the turbo flange mount, and to the top of the turbo. you can remove it from the turbo itself if u like, i would only remove the line from the HEAD if the motor was OUT. dont lose the copper crush washers. its recommended tou replace the crus washers, but i have re-used them without a problem. i have heard of people drilling holes in pennies to use on brake line applications.

3.the oil RETURN is the fat rubber hose that goes to the back of the head with the tension clamps. replace it with 5/8 silicone hose.

4. my last 83 turbo was both oil and water cooled. the water line comes from what would be the drain plug on the head of a N/A. it comes up from the passenger side head, along the bottom of the valve cover, and up tpward the turbo. it turns into a rubber hose that meets the bottom of the turbo. the return line is the one that runs under the intake plenum. replace those with 1/2 inch hose. since the bottom hose curves around 90 deg, have an extra 2 inches or so of replacement hose(non molded) to allow enough room to bend without kinking.

what they said. TOGLE SWITCH!

• 10 years later...

What is everyone using for the turbo oil return line?

Source?

Part #

I use the factory metal hose. You could essentially use a brake line that is bent to fit right and have the right size flanges. I thought i lost one of mine since all the parts for the motor came in the back of the wagon so i went to subaru in Gresham, OR to order a new one. The parts guy found the part number after searching for awhile but said the part would take 3 months to get to USA since it had to be shipped from Japan on a boat.

The little sensor on the turbo heat shield is, I believe, the ambient air temperature sensor.  It will run without it connected just fine, but the ECU will not be able to correctly compensate for any change in the outside air temperature, which could lead to serious engine damage if left disconnected for long periods of time.

I want to change my oil return hose.  The rubber elbow under the turbo going into the head.  5/8 dia with a molded 90* bend.  

I'm afraid coolant line wouldn't handle the the high temp oil coming out of the turbo or the temp of the hose barb on the turbo.

I had a new supply hose made to replace the stock steel line.  The stock lines are prone to corrosion and will shorten the life of the turbo bearing.

The local hydraulic shop fabbed mine up for $50.  Made of flexable hydraulic hose.

Has anyone replaced the return hose?

With What?

that sili hose above would be your best shot surely? I have seen a qualified mechanic (just not experienced with turbos) use std coolant hose for an oil drain back hose on a mid 80's turbo Mazda.Owner never came back- guess it worked ?? Nah, std coolant hosegoes all soggy with just PCV duties :(

On my EA82T which only needs a straight return hose, used an oil resistant rubber hose from a hydraulic hose supplier.