Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Outback -- recall coming for corroded brake lines + other issues

Hello all,

I posted a message two weeks back about problems with my rear wheel bearings, which fail repeatedly. Someone told me about a warranty extension on 05-06 Outback wheel bearings. I am now "dealing" with Subaru of America to have them make good on this warranty extension, which I was never notified about. I had to take the car to the dealer to have them "diagnose" the bad wheel bearings (yes, I know they are bad). Had to put up with a lot of guff from the service advisor about using aftermarket parts, yadda yadda yadda. We'll see what they say about that.

BUT THE REAL REASON I am posting is the service manager told me a recall is coming for corroded brake lines on my car -- it hasn't gone out yet, he said -- so I will have to make an appointment for that problem.

Just a heads up, in case anyone is dealing with corroded brake lines.

Jeff in Boston

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/147526-subaru-recalls-660000-vehicles-for-brake-line-corrosion-again/

From the reponses to the above linked post, the brake line corrosion thing is not just with Subarus, so you can not rest easy even after the recall work is done, since considering GM's refusal to take responsibility cited in a NY Times article, while you may be able to stop, some other GM or other make car may come slamming into you!

This is an industry wide problem that Subaru is at least taking the initiative in addressing.

Hope you get the wheel bearing issue resolved.