Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil cooler or aux radiator or cooling sys run amuck? Found It.

Me Suby climbs up to 280 :eek: when I'm playing Petter :burnout: Solberg in the dirt and ambient temps around 85ish. On hiways and city running around it sits around 210 with both e-fans running. Somtimes I'll see 220 if I'm running flat out on the freeway for miles, but it's rare. Is my cooling system in need of a flush again? Just did that about a year ago. Or do I need to do somthing different? Ideas??!?!?:confused:

Have to call around to some real radiator shops. I bet they have a solvent flush that east the scaled up junk off. I just replace them. If you keep your eyes open in the junkyards you can find new ones :) The cost of a new one is insignificant to the cost of fixing stuff from overheating if you want to look at it that way! A 2 core for $200 is a good investment to the future.

You can get oil coolers too. I got mine from someone in the UK. Apparently they came stock over there? I know some turbo modles came with it here in the states.

Rad gummed up already?:confused: It's only 2 years old. Humm.....very strange. How often should I flush the cooling system? I'll take a looksee at the collant and see if it looks funny or anything. Also, when it does get to the 280 mark the overflow tank overflows too. When it's cold, the level in the overflow tank is right at the full line. :-\ I'll contact some of the radiator shops around here and see what they say. Junkyard? Well.....they don't even have engines let alone radiators.:banghead:

I also recommend a new rad, and a 180 or 190 deg t stat while youre at it. I got a 2 core for $150ish from radiators.com. Its over 100 deg out and I run @ 190 deg in town and never over 210 on the freeway (70-75mph) I am running just water right now, and no AC, yet

Ok, I'll check out prices around town. I'm running a 190 Suby t-stat right now, same age as my radiator, with I think 50/50 mix in it. Strange, one of my work buddies said that I need to increace my coolant/water ratio to get better cooling. Coolant in overflow tank is clean, forgot to check the radiator last night. I'll check it B4 I head out 4 work. Would high altitude have anything to do with it? I live at about 5000 ft, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

subynut, did your friend say more coolant or water? more water will let it cool better...its good to see another arizonan too...do you know of any jy's in the entire state with suby's?

sorry to hijack

eric

do you know of any jy's in the entire state with suby's?
Ummmm.......Flagstaff?? Down here in the southeastern corner of the sate the junkyard (yes, only ONE Junkyard!) usually orders thier Suby parts from Flagstaff. :o

subynut, did your friend say more coolant or water? more water will let it cool bette
He said more water. I think I'm gonna try that and C what that does. Coolant color looks good, so I would guess that the radiator is reasonably clean. I hope........:-\

Try a 25/75 mix. Not good to run straight water. It has too low of a boiling point, and doesn't contain any of the suplements (such as zinc!) that prevent corrosion and deterioration of your cooling system. Straight water will destroy your system in short order. Also - use distilled water if you have problems with minerals clogging up the system.

GD

NAPA sells some stuff called "Mac's Radiator Cleanser". I've used the stuff many times, it really works good in my opinion.

Directions say to drain system, refill with water, add cleanser, let run for 20-30- minutes, drain and flush system, refill with proper coolant mix. I've left the cleanser in for a couple of days on some really nasty looking systems, cleaned them up real good.

Would also suggest to make sure that the fins of the radiator are clear of debris. Dirt and dead bugs will keep air from flowing thru the fins, making it run hot.

I would be surprised if the radiator is bad after just two years if it was new to start with. I think the recommended time to change coolant is about every 2 years. If the old radiator was clogged I suppose the new one could be also if the system was not cleaned will enough when the new one was installed.

I doubt changing your mixture of the coolant will do much to help this and I would leave it at 50% myself. The first thing you might want to check is to see if exhaust gases are getting into the coolant, so have a block check done. It is cheap and easy to do. If that is ok then I would try another thermostat as the current one may be restricting flow.

Edit:

I just read the last few posts and see it looks like you do have a blown head gasket(s). I would drive it as little as possible until it is fixed but most of the damage is most likely done already.

• 1 month later...

Hi i live in Lake montezuma A.Z.(30 miles south of flag) Flagstaff does have some parts but at hi price. They wanted 800 $ for EA82 engine with 150k on it.In cottonwood they have about 15 soobs there, you pull .place called fenders there in the yellow pages! They have three good engines.one is mid 80s EA81,early 90s 2.2 out of legacy. And for you real soob nuts a xt6 from late 80s!!! another place is called B&r in cottonwood. they have a couple of parts including some engine a kid built for drag and then rolled the car not sure exactly what it is. I got rebuilt Ea81 from 82 gl wagon for three hundred from them out of a rear end collision. They will work with you on price!

P.s. Where do you find mud puddles in A.Z. LOL OH and the price for the engines in fenders is 375$ for any of the three. IM sure they would let someone have the EA81 for less then Thaticon10.gif

Yeah, that's about what they quoted me from the J/Y down here in Sierra Vista (Roughly 70 miles south of Tucson). How come EA82s are so much more expensive than EA81s?

Mud puddles, U ascii? Very rare. Mostly during Monsoon Season: July through end of August. That's when we get the mud puddles and Suby is never clean. Course, If she ain't covered in mud, she's covered in DUST!

Yeah, that's about what they quoted me from the J/Y down here in Sierra Vista (Roughly 70 miles south of Tucson). How come EA82s are so much more expensive than EA81s?

Mud puddles, U ascii? Very rare. Mostly during Monsoon Season: July through end of August. That's when we get the mud puddles and Suby is never clean. Course, If she ain't covered in mud, she's covered in DUST!

Ea81 are harder to find I got lucky to find the one i did. there are a few Ea82 at fenders in cottonwood but they dont know whats wrong with them. They think all have cracked heads but not sure. icon6.gifMy soob is the same dust r mud ! gota luv it

Well before you mentioned that you have oil in your coolant, I was going to say something about your water pump. Like how old is it? I would certainly do a compression check to find out if theres a leaky HG, this would rule it out. Seeing how your in the hot and dry part of the country, I would go thru your cooling system and make sure that its 100%.

Wish I would have seen this thread sooner. The moment you mentioned that the overflow tank itself was overflowing when it got hot is when I figured it was your headgasket. Pretty much anytime you have coolant being pushed up it's the headgasket. Sorry that I'm too late :P.

just to clarify, coolant will fill up the overflow, anytime your car overheats, doesnt nessecarily have to be pushed up by engine compression.
I see. I guess it just occured to me that since a number of posts seemed to indicate this as a sign that it was usually like that. Especially if the coolant is pushed out of the rad until rad's empty. But thanks for clarifying that. I assumed since my sub didn't push up the coolant when hot that it was an indicator of only one cause. Thanks!

you may want to consider a new water pump, or at least take it off and check it out, if the conditions persist after a flush/newer radiator

a blown head gasket may blow combustion gasses into the cooling system(if no burning coolant or coolant in the oil) causing it to puke the overflow.

napa also has block sealer, follow the directions precisely, but if that fixes the problem by itself, then suspect the head gasket. it will also get you by till you get the parts around to fix it. costs you about 6 bucks