Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was driving my 95 legacy and it died.  Tried to start, didn't start.  Tried to pop the clutch, didn't start.  Tried to jump start, didn't start.  Fuel pump sounds like it's working.  Put some starter fluid in the throttle body, but did not fire up.  Took a spark plug out, didn't spark.  Changed the ignition coil, didn't start.  Any ideas why I can't get this car started??

cam or crank sensor. These are easy to do. There is also an ignition amplifier on the firewall. Use troubleshooting instead of shotgun approach unless you have known good parts just laying around. 

Remove the outer timing belt covers to inspect the belt or observe it turning. Check the marks on the camshaft. Use the hash marks, not the arrows. Never the arrows.

again - if the timing belt isnt turning the pulleys, the sensors are not going to be set off - check the timing belt before spending ANY money!

pull one of the outer timing covers (three 10mm bolts), have a helper turn the key and make sure things are turning like they are supposed to before you do anything else.

Also be aware that it is possible for the belt to be turning, but could have jumped time - but in that case you would still get spark, just at the wrong time.

the cam & crank sensors on the EJ22s dont fail often - yes, it does occasionally happen, but not often.

Timing component failure is much more common. a failed toothed idler pulley bearing or seized water pump are much more likely than cam or crank sensor.

a worn out, weak tensioner causing the timing belt to jump time is also more common than the sensors failing