Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, a while back I posted up that my '95 Impreza (2.2, auto) was having some fuel level problems. At half tank It would say 1/4th. I tweeked the dash gauge to get better contact, kinda worked but broke. I replaced the gauge entirely - no change. 

I've been driving around with it for a while now and pretty much got used to checking the trip-meter. Now, my wife drives it. 

Now the gauge is worse. At "Empty", I fill up and only put 6 or 8 gallons in it.

Obviously, its the sending unit. So I pulled the tank apart and thought maybe to clean the unit with some alcohol and an eraser. No change. 

Simple question being has anyone seen there be something completely unrelated that could cause this? Apparently checkers only sells the whole fuel pump assy, my pump is alright just the sending unit. Should i just break down and buy the whole assy? or hit up a junk yard for the sending unit?

-Justin

If it were me I would just buy the whole unit new.

Such a crap shoot of what you might get from a JY.

That being said, if you like taking things apart and putting em back together, as much as I do playing craps, going to the JY might be the thing for you. I also see it as a time factor, for myself anyway.

Check the contacts where the wires from the front plug into the wires from the sender.  Clean them out and a dab of apply dielectric grease.  That would be the first thing I would do.  It all goes downhill from there.. I am about to put an aftermarket gauge in my car for the same symptoms..  It still works on occasion but mostly just reads empty.  I have been stranded twice due to this and since it isn't a daily driver I never remember how much fuel was in the tank when I get back in.

The usual with the gauge is it always reads far less than actual. The needle will go up to full when you fill the tank - sure. It doesnt hang out there long; as if I'm getting really crappy milage, it drops down pretty quickly. When I pulled it apart yesterday, the gauge read empty. When i pulled the pump out i had about 1/2 tank (liquid was at the metal ring around the middle of the tank).

there's 2 floats? where is the 2nd? I only saw just the one on the pump. The contacts on, what i would call, 1/2 to empty were pretty burnt up looking. 

-Justin

So I pulled the sending unit out of the D/S tank and cleaned it like I did the other side... seems to be holding the level about where it should be. Usually when you're sitting at 1/4 tank it doesnt stay there long and drops down to Empty. It held there for a while.. will have to see if the tripmeter goes along with the fuel gauge.. 

thanks!

-Justin

• 2 weeks later...

well.. the wife put about 30$ in it the other day, when it was "empty".. got a little over 1/2 tank. she got about 185 miles or so... thats about right for that level. just filled it up yesterday and it took about 11.5 gallons. much closer to true empty than before. 

thanks everyone!

-Justin