Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It is a 2001 Forester, with a little over 100,000 miles on the engine, and almost twice that on the body.

THis morning, on the 50 mile commute to work, it started to overheat.  I spotted the temperature climbing, and put it in neutral to coast and put the heat on full..  The temp. dropped as soon as I took off the load.  It would climb again when I put it in gear.  Finally, it seemed to stabilize, and drove the rest of the way to work at 40 - 50 MPH.  Just before the plant, it started to climb again, and I coasted into a parking spot.

I had a quick look.  Coolant level looked OK.

Any ideas?  Head gaskets? 

I hope I can get it home. Maybe time for the Loyale to go back on the road.

Edited by robm

When I've had rotted radiators that were missing lots of fins, the reduction in cooling capacity caused overheating (until I turned the heat on...yes, of course this happened in the summer).

Also, a bad thermostat (not opening) could prevent proper coolant circulation in the system.  

When I've had rotted radiators that were missing lots of fins, the reduction in cooling capacity caused overheating (until I turned the heat on...yes, of course this happened in the summer).

Also, a bad thermostat (not opening) could prevent proper coolant circulation in the system.  

Swap out the thermostat and coolant may fix the problem. Don't buy a cheapie thermostat, they don't work well in Subies.

It turned out to be low on coolant.  I added a quart from my water bottle, drove ti down the road a mile or 2 to a campsite and filled it up.  It has been rock-solid ever since.  As long as I didn't overheat it enough to compromise the headgaskets it should be OK.

I suspect it has the external leak, and I didn't notice before. 

New coolant when the snowies go on in November.