Ultimate Subaru Message Board

soft tonneau cover for second gen brat?

Hey all,

So I decided to take the Gem Top off my '86 Brat. It dulls down her awesome looks and I'm simply not too fond of it.

In the mean time, I'd love to have some way of covering the bed for camping trips...etc. and was thinking of a soft, waterproof of course, tonneau cover.

I imagine it looking something like the attached image.

Does anyone have something like this (self made) that they might be willing to share, or does anyone know a vendor that could create one?

Thanks in advance :)

post-32252-0-84561100-1412513888_thumb.jpg

Edited by belacane

you'll want to find a place that specialized in covers (like for boats, etc....)

the most important piece for keeping that style waterproof while driving is the metal bracket that attaches to the roof line.  my very first Brat had one...  under the upper edge of the tonneau, there's a plastic piece that slides into the bracket for holding power, and weather protection.  the cover slides into this piece first from the side, then when centered, the rest of the snaps are closed.

in the pics below, you can just see it on the top of the blue brat.  The drawing is provided for more detail.

86-brat-bkblue-3.jpg

tonneau-bracket.jpg

• Like 1

you'll want to find a place that specialized in covers (like for boats, etc....)

the most important piece for keeping that style waterproof while driving is the metal bracket that attaches to the roof line.  my very first Brat had one...  under the upper edge of the tonneau, there's a plastic piece that slides into the bracket for holding power, and weather protection.  the cover slides into this piece first from the side, then when centered, the rest of the snaps are closed.

Any tips on other attachment railings? We've got another thread going here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/101109-finally-got-tonneau-cover-done/