Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Impreza Outback Turbo Swap

Hello,

I am new to Subaru, but definitely not new to doing all of my own work on cars.  I need a lot of help figuring out what engine, transmission choice is best for a turbo swap on this car.  I have a leather optioned car, and I want to build a sleeper that looks automatically like a non-turbo car because of the look, and then totally destroy any unsuspecting fellow that thinks I am running a 250,000 mile clunker.  The car is headed for the paint shop.  Not a single piece of trim, or interior is in the way of a beautiful shiny professional paint job.

It will show.  Now how to make it go?

I try reading quite a bit.  I understand I need a different cross member to clear the up pipe.  Which one?  I need the sway bar too?  Which one.  I really have no idea what I am doing as far as determining what will fit.  

The car is an all wheel drive automatic.  I prefer automatic because I am lazy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kurt

Why? When you can buy a wrecked 02-05 wrx for half that from an auction. And have access to REAL tuning options from Cobb to open source tuning software. Not to mention parts and upgrades that are more readily available in this country.

Why? When you can buy a wrecked 02-05 wrx for half that from an auction. And have access to REAL tuning options from Cobb to open source tuning software. Not to mention parts and upgrades that are more readily available in this country.

ehem */s*, buu buuh its not original, and won't be plug and play!!

• Like 1

Again, not likely. It has been said many times over that the jdm engines don't run exactly right on our fuel. Which is something that can be tuned for, but again let's just ad more money to a swap that already costs double what a donor car will.

Not mention it would need tuning work as-is, for the different body dynamics and just from sitting around so long, no?

I hope you realize I was just playing Devil's advocate Bratman, "/s" <=> sarcasm

I'll stick to buying N/A, and come to you if I need help throwing one on ;D

Edited by SnatchedHatch

Hello,

I am new to Subaru, but definitely not new to doing all of my own work on cars.  I need a lot of help figuring out what engine, transmission choice is best for a turbo swap on this car.  

Would be helpful if we knew what car you were talking about already having. 

If putting it in place in an ea81 body you've got to notch the the frame rails so the heads clear. A sohc swap fits far better space wise. An ea82 body has no issues with that part. Everything else for the ea to ej swap would still apply as normal.

Is there a reason why you guys don't shim the motor mounts instead? 1/4" to maybe 3/8" shouldn't really hurt anything.