Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A plethora of outcomes when attempting to start 99 Legacy Outback

My 99 Legacy Outback (113k miles) is having sporadic starting issues that it will not replicate for my mechanic. Sometimes it will start right up, and other times it makes a delightful variety of noises but eventually starts. Here’s a sampling:

• The rrr rrr rrr, followed by silence
  • Total silence
  • A single click
  • Sounding like it’s going to start and then cutting out before it does

During any/all of these,the radio works. Sometimes I just get one of these, sometimes I will get all of them. Today I got all of them in the 7 tries it took me to get it started, which is the most it's ever taken. It used to only happen at the first start, if it was going to happen at all, but now it’s been happening on subsequent attempts later in the day. Temperature doesn’t seem to play a factor. It doesn't matter whether it's in gear or neutral.

Thoughts?

symptoms seem to point to 2 or more problems but, def. start with the electrical system. A 99 could have corroded cables and need starter contacts.

If the car is an auto-trans, shifting to neutral would be a good test. If the car starts after whacking the starter with a chunk of 2x4 - that would sorta be 'diagnostic' for starter contacts.