Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking rack and pinion question

It appears that my collection of New Gens all have leaking racks!

95 Impreza   75K

95 Impreza AWD 100k

95 Legacy  LSi    100k

These racks are not leaking bad, but leaking enough to have to add fluid once a month or so.

Questions:

Racks for all these cars essentially are the same and can interchange?

Can I just run them leaking, until the leaks get really profuse?

Can the racks be resealed on the car, or do they need to be removed and bench rebuilt?

Would you rebuild the originals, or just get a replacement unit, such as those found on eBay?

Thanks guys!

Todd

Yep, you said it - run it until it's annoying.  i've never seen one just randomly start puking heavy amounts of fluid.

Rebuild is done off the vehicle - it's rather involved.  look up the process and decide if it's for you.  there's a guy on another forum...like LegacyGT (just a guess) documenting how to reseal one.   This would be ideal then you keep the robust Subaru OEM rack and get new seals.

I dislike and avoid additives but Subaru steering racks are one of the few cases where I would consider a "stop leak" product.

A non-leaking used rack from a member or www.car-part.com isn't a bad option either...though with 3 leaking ones you probably want a more "known" solution.

Wow, probably the heat and low mileage.  Every low mileage Subaru I get seems to have leaks, seized speedo cables, buttons not working, and other oddball issues that are typically rare and I wouldn't expect with a low mileage car.

Internal leaks are very rare.

i agree.

and you would have to drive with a torn bellows a long time to damage enough to leak.

and this is the reallly strange part, to me at least,

i have never seen one leak,

and you have THREE!!!!!!!!!!!

how is that possible.?

are you sure the o-ring isn't leaking at the reservoir / pump connection?

that is common.

I have a 98 OBW that developed a fluid leak at a broken boot. I have known for several years that both rubber boots were torn, but drove on anyway until a leak developed.

I fixed mine by buying a used rack from a wrecking yard, and had a friend install it. Cost was around $100 for the rack. Installation around $200. I went to www.cars.com to see listings from several yards before I bought one. `Be sure to ask for one that has rubber boots with no rubber tears.