Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No real issues that I've heard of. There were some complaints in the early ones, 2010s, but i think those were all resolved pretty quickly.

Keep clean fluid in it and it should last as long as any other transmission.

Due to the tolerances and special tools needed to work on the CVT there isn't much on them that is considered "repairable". Generally if there is an internal problem the whole transmission will get replaced.

Everything is repairable, just step one, remove transmission, like almost any modern automatic.

Aside from some calibration issues in the beginning, and some people whining about the transmission making a wine (thats what belts do) I haven't seen anything. 

A quick look on the outback board (they complain about everything) and nothing of any substance shows up.

• Like 2

With enough time and money it can probably be repaired. It would seem like the aftermarket rebuilders would definitely be repairing/rebuilding them. Well or maybe I should say attempting to repair/rebuild them.

A quick look on the outback board (they complain about everything) and nothing of any substance shows up.

Lol, some squeaky ashtrays though? Edited by porcupine73
  • Like 1

Subaru doesn't have a time to replace it.  When we called the dealer for one in our shop, they said if it's not bad, don't touch it.  If you do change it, make sure you use Subaru CVT fluid.  I think Eneos CVT fluid is supposed to be ok, but I think the Subi stuff will be easier to get.  These use a different fluid than a normal automatic.  Also, iirc, the color and smell of the fluid is different.