Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Sway Bar Compatibility for 95 Legacy

Apologies if there is already info about this somewhere on the site. I've been hunting around for a while and haven't found the exact info I am looking for. Basically I need to know which front sway bars will work on my 95 legacy L. I was at the pick n pull to get a sway bar (read that 90-04 non turbo and non GT legacy front bars should be interchangeable), but the sway bars I found (98 outback, 96 Lego, and 93 lego) all looked different. The length was the same and the width just barely different between the outback and legos, but the main difference was the curl of the bar. They all curled in different directions, the biggest difference being the bar from the outback. I would have taken the sway bar from the 96 home, but it was in pretty bad shape. Next time I'm just going to bring the bar off of my 95 for comparison (which I should've done in the first place), but I figured I would ask in the meantime if anyone knows the exact compatibility between front sway bars and models. I was mainly just going off of this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-suspension-faq-swaybars-struts-springs-coilovers-alignment-171914.html

Thanks for the help! 

Edited by DJA

Gotcha. Maybe the geometry will be different when the car is lowered back to the ground, but when I put the bar from the 98 OB on the 96 legacy at the pick n pull, the bolt holes on the ends looked like they curled out in a totally different direction. I also layers the bars down side by side and they were definitely shaped differently. But if you've put both front and rear from an OB on your 95 legacy than I guess I'll give it a shot. It would be nice to tighten up the steering a bit more than how it was with the stock bars.

Keep an eye on the plastic end links. They might crack (mine did) if you are out pushing the car a bit. I only did the rear bar on my 95' (from an Outback) and took the car out and pushed it a bit after the swap. Unbeknownst to me, the front end links cracked, and I was clueless until the car wandered a bit in the snow above 25 mph or so.

• 3 weeks later...

So far everything is good. I did notice that the endlinks on the front come in at a sharper angle after the swap, but haven't noticed any damage yet. I should also note that I swapped the endlinks for both the front and rear bars since mine were pretty shot and i'm sure the originals would have blown anyways with or without the upgrade.  

If you have the money, they make an aluminum end links (wish they factory with all as plastic makes ZERO sense) that the WRX guys/gals use which would a solid upgrade as you could change out the bushings after they wear and even run urethane in them for extra rigidity. They aren't cheap though :(