Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay, I know that between the 98 Legacy Brighton and the 98 Legacy Outback, the throw out bearing is different, but can I use the clutch disc and pressure plate from the brighton and get away with buying just the special throw out bearing for the outback? The clutch is brand new and sitting in the brighton since the trans died and my clutch needs to be done in my outback and I'm hoping to save some money this way.  I know the flywheel fits for sure, but I'm also hoping the clutch as well... I can't see why not when its bolted to the flywheel and the flywheel can swap over. Any help is greatly appreciated!

This is a 2.2 vs 2.5 deal.

Only difference between a 2.2 and 2.5 clutch is the pressure plate. The 2.5 pressure plate has a higher clamp force to deal with the higher power output of the 2.5. The pressure plates actually even look very similar, but the 2.5 pressure plate has a stronger spring.

TOB and clutch disc will be the same.

The turbo models have the different TOB and on those the pressure plate is different to match that.

All of the NON-turbo cars use the same TOB, regardless of engine.

The 2.2 flywheel should bolt on fine, there may be a difference in outside diameter compared to the 2.5 flywheel, so you may need to use a 2.2 starter.

Compare the flywheels next to each other before putting the new one in.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a 2.2 vs 2.5 deal.

Only difference between a 2.2 and 2.5 clutch is the pressure plate. The 2.5 pressure plate has a higher clamp force to deal with the higher power output of the 2.5. The pressure plates actually even look very similar, but the 2.5 pressure plate has a stronger spring.

TOB and clutch disc will be the same.

The turbo models have the different TOB and on those the pressure plate is different to match that.

All of the NON-turbo cars use the same TOB, regardless of engine.

The 2.2 flywheel should bolt on fine, there may be a difference in outside diameter compared to the 2.5 flywheel, so you may need to use a 2.2 starter.

Compare the flywheels next to each other before putting the new one in.

Okay.  My car with the 2.5 has a badge in the engine bay that says its fitted with a special TOB (I dont remember the part #) So i figured thats what i'd need.  But thank you!

My guess would be the car has been fitted with a quill sleeve. The quill on the transmission wears and causes the TOB to bind as it slides, causing clutch engagement issues. The fix is to install a hardened steel sleeve and a TOB with a slightly larger bore to fit the sleeve. A standard replacement TOB will not fit over the sleeve.

Is there a part number or other manufacturer info on the sticker?