Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought a 88 GL 3 door,  perfect condition (near).  I need a few parts.  Is there a place I can look for them?

I need:   Owners Manual, retracting cargo area cover, light cover for light in cargo area, glove box latch cover (around the key).  How does Subaru want you to correctly operate the FWD,4x4 transition (need that owners manual).

What is that toggle switch on top of the steering column for?

I'm a VW Bus nut, still driving my 71, had for 37 years now... Full DIY'r here.   These Subaru's are awesome! should have jumped into them years ago! 

mike

The 2wd/4wd transition is shift on the fly, you can do it any time. Just use the clutch and treat it like a normal gear change. Stopped or slow speeds are ideal since there will be less shock on the drivetrain, but you can put it into 4wd at any speed. DO NOT USE 4WD ON DRY PAVEMENT, especially turning. You will get binding in the diffs/axles and break stuff. The road surface has to be a little loose to allow slippage when in 4wd. When in 4wd, the center diff is fully locked for a 50/50 torque split front/rear. The front diff is always open. You most likely have an open rear diff, by you can upgrade to an LSD if you want more traction.

The steering column toggle switch is for the parking lights. It turns your corner lights on the same as the first position on the headlight stick. The headlight stalk is all ignition-switched, so your lights will go off when you turn the car off. The column parking light switch keeps the lights on even when the car is not ON or running.

I have a 3door cargo cover for brown interiors.