Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flooded my engine after a 140 mile drive?

94 legacy 5spd awd... I flooded the engine after I drove BACK over McClure pas today 140 miles round trip. She was definitely struggling going up the pass like not wanting to push 40. Anyways on the way back I was engine braking for like 30 miles didn't think a thing of it. Getting off the highway I hit the gas and she barely had any power so I downshifted and punched the throttle. Finally got it home and it died when I let off the gas. Tried to start it with the pedal all the way down and it sounds flooded!!! I'm just hoping it's the spark plugs were too weak and need to get replaced. I just got it two weeks ago and from looking at the car and only replacing the air filter and cleaning the airbox and an oil change. it seems neglected. Drove fine untill I did that. Can anyone tell me what they think.

Starting with the pedal on the floor cuts fuel entirely so in order to clear fuel from the cylinders. If it doesn't start when you do this, it wasn't flooded.

Engine braking uses LESS fuel. The injectors barely spray during engine braking because the engine doesn't need fuel to slow itself down.

Check fuel pressure. Filter could be clogged or it may need a fuel pump.

• Like 1

Once I put the pedal to the floor and cranked for a bit it fired up and idled for like 20 seconds then died. Haven't looked at it since last night. When I bought the car the guy said he thought it had a weak fuel pump because the idle surges a lot. But the air filter was clogged up pretty well so I cleaned the intake system and that helped out the idle a bit. It is still mimicking the surging idle but has never died on me till last night.

I cleaned the IACV the other week with seafoam through the bypass hose. So I'm assuming that cleaned it and I've cleaned the butterfly valve and the airbox and changed air filter. I'm gonna replace the plugs regardless. But I doubt it's the plugs after hearing what the first few posters had to say about insufficient gas flow. So once my buddy gets back home I'll have him break out the gauge to check the fuel psi. What psi is it supposed to put out

May not be your issue, but your statement "I just got it two weeks ago and from looking at the car and only replacing the air filter and cleaning the airbox and an oil change. it seems neglected. Drove fine untill I did that" makes me think about the valve cover breather hoses and other hoses that attach to the bottom of the air intake snorkus. On my '94 I have not once been able to replace the air filter without at least one of those hoses coming off. It's easy to miss since it's underneath.

• Like 1

I'll check my hoses. It's my birthday and all I want is for this car to get back on the road so I can take it back to Washington.

Just need my mechanic back in the farm so he'll run a fuel pressure test. Might just go to the store and buy a new fuel filter while he's gone to eliminate that problem.

I'd take you up on that bet. You lose you come to my farm and work a day lol. But I'll check the hoses. But cmon I drove like 140-200 miles the other day over McClure pass and nothing till the end of the night and all of a sudden it starts bucking and losing power when I touch the gas. I'll go look... And try to start her and see what she does. I'll let yall know.

So I went and turned to the key to on and didn't start the car. I had this weird clicking noise and it almost sounded like it was bubbling? The noise is near the passenger floor. I can also hear it in the engine compartment too without the car on but not as loud, near the ignition coil but not coming from the ignition coil. Definitely sounds loudest with my head under the pass. Dash. Very loud at first then it quited after 20 seconds. Started the car and it died. Started again and it idled for me while I listened to the clicking. Also when I first tried to start it only clicked at me a few times lnot turning the engine at all, like it wanted me to wait, then the clicking noise calmed down and it started for me. Any ideas?

Edited by PA Grown

I wonder if the ecm is in test mode? It would make it make the relays cycle and that would explain the clicking noise.

Look under the dash and see if you can fund the diagnostic plugs, they are green single prong conectors. Those connectors should be disconnected while driving.

Well it sounds like a pump does when it's trying to suck in gas the way it sounded when I turned on the key then it quited down a bit abut definitely still audible. I'll have to wait for the farm mechanic to get back. I already feel like I'm in way over my head now. I'll look for the prongs I guess. I just don't know where to start. And really don't have the time. Test mode wouldn't just suddenly kick in after driving it for 500 miles would it.

True... So I just started the car again today and it made no noise mimicking what I heard this morning. No trouble starting or anything.

Let it warm up then shut it off. Somebody KILL ME NOW. I'm trying to drive this thing back to Washington next week.