Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Put new pads on old rotors.  Raybestos pads.    96 Legacy 2.2 wagon.

the front wheels are squealing!  not just during braking..   when I brake it squeaks a lil but all goes away.

So is this just my new pads breaking in on the old rotors?     I put on new slide plates and new pads,,and greased the pads, and  a lil on the slides,,

This was about the easiest pad change I ever did.  No problems..  New raybestos pads fit nicely,,  compared to duralast crappers at autozone... no modifications needed.

I didn't scratch the rotors..  the car doesn't pull to either side..

I DID noice as I was traveling on a state road about 50 mph,, that I would hear more or less squealing as I went around turns,,  

today didn't hear as much of the squealing ,, ill post again later after some more driving.

This was about the easiest pad change I ever did.  No problems..  New raybestos pads fit nicely,,  compared to duralast crappers at autozone... no modifications needed.

I didn't scratch the rotors..  the car doesn't pull to either side..

I DID noice as I was traveling on a state road about 50 mph,, that I would hear more or less squealing as I went around turns,,  

today didn't hear as much of the squealing ,, ill post again later after some more driving.

That was exactly what I experienced when my pads were binding in the brackets. Not sure what was rubbing but once I adjusted the tabs to allow the pads to float free the noise disappeared. Initially, I was checking around to see if the dust shield was rubbing as this had been mentioned somewhere in my reading but it did turn out to be the pad fit. Check to make sure you don't have any rust lodged in the bracket area.

• Like 1

I had a wicked squeal a month or two ago...just on one side.  Turns out it was the dust shield.  No noise when I had the front end jacked up and turned the tires by hand, but when the front end was weighted and driven, squeal.  Bend o rama to gain some more clearance and all was well.