Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 legacy making clicking noise in passenger under dash

So my car died last night after bucking and sputtering for 2 miles with me on the throttle giving it hell. So I Turned the key on after it sitting for a day and there was this weird clicking whirring noise in the passenger side under the dash that got quieter after like 20 seconds. It sounds just like a fuel pump pressuring up but it's totally in the wrong place. Died once after starting it up, then I stsrted it again and it idled till warm the whirring clicking noise never went away. So then I started it later yesterday again and none of the same symptoms... What to do?

Clicking whiring noise turned out to be the dying blower fan under the passenger dash... So now idk... The car did the flash the low oil light at me while the car was starting to buck the other night. I just figured it was because the car was bucking so hard. So I'm stuck lol

any dents in the oil pan? maybe blocked or cracked oil pickup.

check the oil pressure. there's a port for a real gauge some where. could be something as simple as a bad pressure sender (that thing is designed to light up at some crazy low pressure like 7 psi !)

maybe the rear of the oil pump needs re-sealing?

No dents. I'll check the oil pressure this weekend. I always have a valve tick when I first start the car up unless it's overfilled. So yah I suspect a weak sending unit. But it wouldn't make the car buck and it was only 1/2 quart under low. I replaced the fuel filter today and it seemed to smooth out my idle a little and no longer sounds like a v8. And seems to takeoff better and smoother. I'm gonna test my fuel pressure hopefully this weekend, the mechanic I live with has been gone for the last few weeks house sitting a mansion in aspen lol. I'm just curious as to what checklist I should go through to cure the bucking and my car dying. So I'm gonna check oil pressure and fuel pressure, any other tests I should run to try and find a culprit?

no 1 thing that helps the gurus here is accurate info about the symptoms, and anything that may have led to them popping up.

next would be any blink codes or OBD codes stored in the computer. Yours has codes even though it isn't OBDII.

I've even seen some guys post sound files of noises their car makes. naturally, there are limits to what can be guessed at over the internet. Sometimes, a thread about torque bind or shifting problems will be pages long and the OP will blurt out - "the transmission was swapped 2 weeks ago" or w'ever.

sometimes. cars have had rodents nesting in them that chewed-up wires.

other times, we get lucky and say, change the knock sensor - they're cheap, and -boom- problem solved.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

1. Take a deep breath, and let it go slowly.

2. go here: http://legacycentral.org/library/literature/codes.htm  follow the directions for retrieiving any stored codes - even if the CEL isnt on right now, it may still have something stored.

3. If you do get some codes out of it, post them here so we can help you make sense of them.

• Like 1