Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 turbo GL low idle

opus

Start it cold, idles high like normal then it warms up and goes to idle like it should. Drive 20 miles, stop, shut it off. Come out 5 mins later and start it and it's hard to start, almost like it's too lean. Once it starts it tries to idle at 450, stumbles but won't die. Drive it a mile, runs fine and will then idle fine around 750.

When I start it cold I have to hit the throttle once or it will crank for a while before it starts.

Ready, set...go.

I don't have the ability to check that. However would that cause the car to not idle right and 1 mile later have it idle fine? The car runs perfect but for that time after hot restart. If there was flooding there would be hot start smoke.

It could.

Mine ran well w/a weak pump but had starting difficulties.

Don`t expect smoke from minor flooding.

I still think a plug or 2 is fouling.

Not always easy to detect,

The symptoms fit rather well.

There are not a lot of other variables.

Fuel pressure gauges are like $20.

I would not replace the pump w/o checking.

I`m thinking leaky injector more than pump,

You can get some idea of the pump strength by dissconnecting the return line from the regulator and measuring the flow volume.

Not the 100% correct way to do it(you should measure the 36 psi flow rate) but,if the return volume is very low w/the engine off you know you have a problem.

I was shocked to find I had almost no return flow.

Pressure was 36 psi just like it was supposed to be,

Car ran well.

On the fuel pump, try bridging the negative side of the wiring directly to the body.

This wire is supposed to earth out via the ECU on the series 1, but something burns out.

Mine started doing your problem, and then got worse and worse over the following months until it finally refused to run at all.

Might not be your problem, but almost $0 to try.

The hot wire to the alternator, fries itself and eventually breaks at about 15,000 mile intervals.  Before it breaks, it causes all kind of problems with the idle.  You need to splice in a new 6" wire section at the end of that wire, after you cut off the brittle portion of the wire which occurs at the very end.  You will want to change out this wire splice every 10,000 miles.  Other indications that this is the problem is that the engine runs even worse when you turn on any accessory like lights, defroster, or run the electric windows.

Also, the points inside the distributor get corroded after only a few thousand miles.  Use fine sandpaper to take that corrosion off and improve the spark.

Replaced the wire....nothing different except I have a better terminal and piece of wire now.

Humor me; what would happen if the fuel pump was wired backwards?

Also, how long should the fuel pump run while the car is idling?  All the time?

#1 CHECK----- 

I have the same car and had the same issue. believe it or not it was the temp sensor. Not the sender in the Radiator but the one in the block, offset towards pass side behind intake. The plug is the same as an injector or cold start plug, it has 2 wires and is square. My connection was bad and it did just what your saying. Cut the bad plug off, put my own female blades on, heat shrink both around metal, then plug in. Worked like a charm!!

#2 CHECK-----

also could be your cold start vacuum or solenoid.

#3 CHECK-----

I would check EVERYWHERE for a Vac leak also.

I highly dont think it has anything to do with your fuel pump or pressure reg.

MAYBE CHECK-----

hell it could even be that stupid HAC (high altitude compensator) sticking. so many things it can be.

at last, kick and tap and hit things, usually works for me!!

#1 CHECK----- 

I have the same car and had the same issue. believe it or not it was the temp sensor. Not the sender in the Radiator but the one in the block, offset towards pass side behind intake. The plug is the same as an injector or cold start plug, it has 2 wires and is square. My connection was bad and it did just what your saying. Cut the bad plug off, put my own female blades on, heat shrink both around metal, then plug in. Worked like a charm!!

#2 CHECK-----

also could be your cold start vacuum or solenoid.

#3 CHECK-----

I would check EVERYWHERE for a Vac leak also.

I highly dont think it has anything to do with your fuel pump or pressure reg.

MAYBE CHECK-----

hell it could even be that stupid HAC (high altitude compensator) sticking. so many things it can be.

at last, kick and tap and hit things, usually works for me!!

#1 - replaced it and the plug.

#2 - cold start was perfect this morning.  It started great without touching the throttle.

#3 - I have.  Found one in the beginning of time but that was it.

Maybe check - have no idea what that is.

I have kicked, twisted and fondled everything I can find.  Car runs great one the fuel pressure seems to build up and the pump shuts off.  You can actually feel it driving down the road.  When the pump is running on hot start it runs kinda like the engine should be "choked" to get more fuel.  Once it gets to where the fuel pump is going to shut off it runs great.  Anything before that time and the idle will be down around 450 and not wanting to stay running.  It wont die, but makes you think it will.

From what I recall, I have never heard a fuel pump run consistent at idle.  

There is a good possibility the fuel pump was wired in backwards, well, there is a 50/50 chance.  Would it run if it was pumping the other way?