Ultimate Subaru Message Board

installing fog lights and switch opertion

i installed a set of fog lights on my 95 legacy. im curious if the factory rear defrost and cruise control switch are supposed to light up with the headlights on? the fog light switch i got from the junk yard car does light up with headlights on but the other 2 switches that were in the car already do not. are my switches not lighted? do i need to get more junk yard switches?

update i have the fog switch installed and working the illumination light that comes on with the headlights is working and hte red light when button is push was working but stopped working while i was messing with the switch im assuming the bulb went bad and that the bulbs are probly just also bad for the illumination part of the other 2 switches. i have to go to the junk yard again at some point to try and locate the correct grille i can see a pocket full of defrost fog and cruise switches leaving with me.

ah that would explain why mine also do not light up im assuming they never did. if i replaced them with the newer switch from a newer car that the switches do light up in would i have to rewire anything to make them light up with the headlights on? as it is now i have the fog light switch wired to illuminate the fog light symbol with the headlights on and the red light comes on when pushed. the defrost and cruise only have the red light

Edited by sirtokesalot

went to the yard this morning and boguht 3 switches left with 3 sets of switches in my pocket a full set of the wood trim biuts for around the shifter and window buttons a belt for the alternator because mine is stretched and slipping and the trim peice i missed last time when i got the rear carpets. its kind of a lot to walk out with under my jacket but it fit fine many small parts dont look like anything under my coat. the switches all for the most part had a light out on them i swapped some bulbs around on them and got my switches all working and lighting up like they should. junk yards are fun

Edited by sirtokesalot

the cruise and rear defrost switches on my 95 do not "light up" with headlights on, there is an indicator light to tell when the item is turned on however.

I looked this morning and the defrost and cruise switches on my '95 light up when the interior lights are on (in addition to having the orange light when the button is depressed).  Your "running" bulbs must be burnt out on those two switches.

I looked this morning and the defrost and cruise switches on my '95 light up when the interior lights are on (in addition to having the orange light when the button is depressed).  Your "running" bulbs must be burnt out on those two switches.

huh  :huh:  must be...wouldnt surprise me at all if they are - the car has well over 200K on it. will have to check into that.

Thanks for the verification!