Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Turbo Delete

Hi All,

...So I did a brief search on both Google and the forums here and I couldn't find anything like what I am doing with my GL Turbo.

Anyway, I am rebuilding my ea82t, but due to the difficulty of finding turbo pistons, and the presence of shaft play in the turbo itself, I have decided to remove the turbo and simply run it as an MPFI EA82 with the standard 8.7 pistons that are coming in my rebuild kit.

I am looking for input from anyone who has done this (or known someone to have done this). After removing the turbo, converting the exhaust to the NA piping, and bridging the air filter housing to the throttle body, is there anything else I need to do to get it running?

Is it as simple as doing what I have stated above, then firing it up, or will I need additional parts/preparation? I am not new to wrenching, but I am relatively new to Subarus. I am operating under the assumption that the computer will sense the lack of boost and be able to compensate, being as the displacement is still the same and everything else is stock.

I look forward to hearing your input/advice!

Thanks!

-Jacob

I've got an N/A MPFI air intake tube here in Corvallis.  PM me for price.

Otherwise you just need to plug the oil/coolant lines to turbo, and get an SPFI Y-pipe.

I did the same to my 89 GL turbo, and it was great....the ECU will run it fine without boost.

Also remembere thar the cam profiles are different in the turbo. I eid drive my ea82t engine without the turbo for some time when my original turbo gave up. I just did a pipe with turbo flanges to bypass turbo and plugged the oiland coolant passages so I could use turbo again. I did have na block (pistons) in it already then and it was drivable like that

How different are the cams? The setup I will be running is going to be NA block pistons in cylinders bored .020" oversize. I will be retaining the turbo cams unless they are going to reduce performance/drive-ability. 

On a note unrelated to the above, would it be better to plug the coolant ports on the head that would normally go to the turbo, or instead bridge them together so coolant can still flow through those areas of the passenger side head?

I run an EA82 carb block with turbo heads and cams as an NA and love it, gives the best fuel mileage of all my EA's as NA. Really not that much difference between the NA and turbo cams. My fuel is propane thoyh, so a bit different, but you should be fine.

Did you get a MPFI intkae tube?  the SPFI ones will not fit the MPFI throttle body.

The turbo Cams will run in the NA just fine..

In fact in 85/86 the Carbed and Turbos used the SAME CAMS!!!....

88+ turbo cams have slightly longer duration than the SPFI cams......The NA MPFI cams have even more!!  So the turbo cams should work great.

Also.....for coolant lines just plug the hole in the botom of the head....and cap the return.......there is no need to loop them since the coolant goes straight out of the turbo to the radiator.  The head gets it's coolant from the block then up and out to teh radiator.

Edited by Gloyale

Why would I be disappointed?  I will be going from an engine that wants to eat itself to an engine that will run for 200k miles with regular maintenance. I'd rather have less power/better efficiency and more reliability any day of the week. If the cams provide less than adequate performance, I can always swap them out.

Why would I be disappointed?  I will be going from an engine that wants to eat itself to an engine that will run for 200k miles with regular maintenance. I'd rather have less power/better efficiency and more reliability any day of the week. If the cams provide less than adequate performance, I can always swap them out.

You won't be..  You are smart.

The turbo was the worst thing subaru ever did to an otherwise wonderful engine.

The EA82 MPFI was the test bed for all the wonderful EJ adaptations........OHC, MPFI, Multi-port heads, Long equal length runners.......

The 88 turbo cams are longer duration, less overlap in each cylinder......but more overlap between one cyl to the next......the Non-turbo MPFI in the XTs actually got even more duration........So.......the Turbo cams in that engine will be just fine with some NA pistons.

The last of the parts will be going to the machine shop here in a few days, so I will be able to start putting it all back together shortly after that! I'm pretty excited to get it back up and on the road.

..Then it's just a matter of rebuilding my dual range tranny, or finding a solid core. Should be fun!

Okay, so I'm trying to source an exhaust y-pipe. Will any y-pipe work from any non-turbo EA82-equipped donor, or are there significant differences in physical fitment between the different body styles?

I am going to have to weld it in to my existing header-back system after I cut off the turbo flange section, and I'm just trying to make sure to order the correct pipe.