Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does a trunk liner from a 1996 legacy wagon fit in a 1991 legacy 4 door trunk?

I bought a trunk mat that says LEGACY on it from the junkyard. It came out of the cargo area of a 1996 legacy wagon.

I have a 1991 legacy 4 door. I assume that subaru is like any other car company and kept the wheel well area and such the same and merely extended the roof to create the wagon. Based on this logic I'm assuming the trunk mat will fit my car.

I am only speculating. Anyone know if the trunk mat from a 1996 legacy wagon will fit my 1991 legacy 4 door trunk area?

I also bought the console cover lid top to replace my broken one. it came out of the same 1996 legacy wagon. Again I'm assuming it will fit my 1991 legacy 4 door console.

I'm also seriously considering buying the spoiler with built in 3rd brake light from a 1999 subaru legacy and am assuming it will fit the contour of my 1991 legacy trunk lid. If it is different it shouldn't be by very much I hope.

Edited by blue91legacy

If you already bought it, why not stick it in and find out? Will it be identical? NO. Will it work? It should. I supplemented one from an Outback into my 95' "L", and even if it didn't match every contour to a "T", it'd still work. If it won't stay put, go to Walmart and buy some velcro strips in the sewing isle. The carpeting on your floor will grab the stiff looping, and it'll at at least stay put.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I just found out minutes ago that number 1 and number 2 cylinders in my subaru have no compression what so ever, none. The car is junk now. Guess it no longer matters.

A little back story to the car and your issue would be nice. Did the engine just let go? Was it making any noise? Is the timing belt still attached?

here is the back story on my car. I bought the car on a craigslist ad. The ad said the car wasn't running but that the problem was either the camshaft or the crankshaft sensor. Once the bad sensor was replaced I'd be good to go. I bought the car because I once owned a very rusty Subaru many years ago (a 1986 or 88 Subaru XT) and it always started and always ran and I never had to even invest a cent in it and it would start on the coldest days and go throw enormous snow drifts easily.

I needed a reliable winter car and thought I'd buy this one and then save up and have it fixed. I took it to the mechanic to find out why it wouldn't start. he did a compression check, found cylinders one and two to have zero compression, called me and told me it was junk and that the motor was blown. he said either the timing jumped or the belt broke and killed the engine. he then pushed it outside, called me and here we are.

That really stinks. I don't believe the 91' engines were interference engines. Meaning, if the timing belt let loose, it'd just close all the valves at once as they physically can not touch the pistons. If it were me, I'd get a second opinion stating exactly what's wrong (I personally don't trust mechanics). If you have Pull-A-Parts near you, you can get an entire running engine for under $150. These cars are pretty rugged and what you remembered about your prior one remains the same throughout the 90's. Might be able to trade with someone (that car for another that's running) or find someone on here semi-local to you willing to kill some time on a weekend to get you squared away. Never know.