Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Was leaving a CVS a mile from home and while making a turn I thought I felt the car surge slightly or something. Looked down and the ABS light was on. Got home, shut it off, then restarted to see if it'd come back. It didn't.

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out the best approach to read whatever code it likely stored, though there's too much irrelevant "ABS" crap in the google searches along with contradicting statements, so figured asking was the best bet.

Being a 95', can Auto Zone pull the code with their scanner? Or do I have to do some archaic ground connector 6 with key off grumble grumble? If the latter, where is the connector exactly and what pin gets grounded? Does the ABS light flash still initiate with an "11", followed by the code? Thanks.

ABS codes can only be read using the ground pin method in the ABS diagnostic connector. There shouldn't be a code for normal system, just what codes are currently in the system.

They do have an issue with the ABS motor relays sticking among some other issues which can happen in the scenario that you describe. Only way to know is to know what the code is.

Thanks for posting that!

The abridged version for anyone stumbling into this is "ground pin #3 on connector B82". Another site  http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336307  (post #2) states pin #6 needs grounded as well. Can anyone confirm? It also states pin #6 is needed to erase the stored codes. Does that apply with my Legacy?

Here's a crude illustration I found that shows what the connector looks like as it's facing you with the pins numbered:

post-49917-0-12908300-1415923579_thumb.gif

post-49917-0-12908300-1415923579_thumb.g

first, not all locations have wires.

my understanding it that each pin, wire, that is there is for a different ''system''.

possible systems are

TCU - trans codes

SRS - air bag codes

ABS - anti lock braking codes

and all are intended to be grounded.

so even if you ground the wrong one,

you will not do any damage.

you just get the wrong info.

i have never heard that you need to ground out more than one pin for any one system,

but my experience is limited.

i have only checked trans codes.

any time i have had another code it was due to improper service ,

corrected by proper service, (''locking'' the air bag connectors in the steering wheel)

or dirt, rust, or crap, on the ABS sensor tip.

a trouble light could be caused by a bad ''brain'' or wiring,

but the active parts are much more likely.

especially if you were just working on the brakes or steering wheel / clock spring/ air bag.

if you disturb something and then you get a light,

look where you were working.

Edited by johnceggleston

As an interesting tidbit I learned about the ABS sensor on my 95 today...apparently the Outback and Legacy sensors are not the same.  I messed up one of my front sensors removing it a few months ago.  I picked a sensor up at a yard today, but it was from an Outback.  I figured they were interchangeable.  Not the case.  The Outback sensor does not fit into my knuckle (a little too large).  I confirmed by looking at Advance Auto...different part numbers for the Legacy and Outback.