Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater core change, and doing it all over again.

Hi guys just sharing here..   (dont do what i did)

Well when i got the car (96 legacy wagon), i found that the heater core was bad,,  i bypassed it but winter was coming so i tore it open and changed it out.  i follwed this:    http://beergarage.com/subyheatercore.aspx

Well when i finally got the heater box out,, i couldnt get it apart,,, i took out what i thought were all the screws,, but didnt take the one out in the bottom center..    

I thought the big pin that was going thru the flapp door was holding it together,, so i hit it with a hammer to drive it out/ down thru....  (wrong answer)

I didnt know it was all one piece plastic.  duh... So i finally got it apart and found that i had broke the bottom of the door flap    at the bottom as you can see in picture 2.

SOOOO  i glued it.. Yes,, i used some kind of super epoxy from advance auto...  it seemed to be ok. 

Put it allll back together,,, i had heat!  I had air.!!  

Now its november and i dont have any heat.  AT ALL.    

Soo im going to tear it all down again and go back in.    So this is a PSA, dont hit that plastic thing with a hammer...   and 2  dont use glue.

post-55338-0-31496400-1415910077_thumb.jpg

post-55338-0-78342500-1415910508_thumb.jpg