Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Forester Rolled over ended up on roof.

Oil pools in the oil pan, and the oil pump needs the returning oil to pump back into the engine. When an engine goes upside down, all the oil is not where it's supposed to be and the oil pump can get starved. If it happened quickly, hopefully it shut off right away or stalled. Dunno if those have a fuel pump cut or not. I'd inspect the engine for any oil that might have leaked. Clean as needed. 

Whether it'll still run OK depends how long it was upside down and running, and whether the force of the accident caused any stress cracks or internal damage. If you are looking for a cheap engine, there are probably better candidates. If the engine is low mileage and everything checks out physically, only way you'll know is if you try and start it. My ex crashed a low mileage V6 Honda Accord spinning out coming down a hill in the snow. Car wasn't exactly totaled, but it got written off. At the wrecker yard while cleaning out personal effects, I tried starting it and it was toast despite nothing in the engine being damaged physically, which was a shame as it had been methodically taken care of. It never flipped over....

• Like 1

Same deal. Anytime an engine is run in a position not intended, you run risks. Anytime an engine is in an accident, you run risks.

Years ago I went and looked at an 88' GT Mustang with a 302 that was T-boned from a police cruiser. The yard had a gas tank on a dolly and brought it out to me. They had a little rig with the fuel pump so the engine could run off their home made fuel tank set up. It ran, but I passed on it as the trans casing had a huge crack on it. That means the force of the impact was so strong, it put a 12"+ crack in the bellhousing on the side. My thought was if it did that while it was moving, the internal shock the crank, connecting rods, pistons, etc. were exposed to, had to be many many G's and it wasn't worth the risk to me to install it my car, only to have an unseen hairline crack split the block at a later date.

Point is, there's no magical definitive "yes or no" here. You run a risk if you want to use the engine as-is for something else. On the other hand, it makes for an exceptional bargaining point to get the engine cheaper. But do NOT use the engine w/o tearing it apart and inspecting everything. Around here in N/E OH, I can get EJ22 and EJ25 all day everyday from early 90's to early 00's for under $150. Those are running cars w/o accidents. Offer him $75 to $100 or pass and find something w/o the questionable history.

Edited by Bushwick

These engines aren't that plentiful here.

That really stinks. The closest Pull-A-Part to you would probably be in Texas (they are the cheap source of used EJ's ;) around here) which may or may not be that bad of a drive for you if desperate. 

Wish we access to the rust-free cars you guys are used to. Probably why you are having a tough time since they don't have the road salt killing the bodies? Or do you get lots of snow in Kansas?

We don't have what you do up there, probably really only 3 months that are really heavy with the salt.

That really stinks. The closest Pull-A-Part to you would probably be in Texas (they are the cheap source of used EJ's ;) around here) which may or may not be that bad of a drive for you if desperate. 

Wish we access to the rust-free cars you guys are used to. Probably why you are having a tough time since they don't have the road salt killing the bodies? Or do you get lots of snow in Kansas?

Well, I'd LOVE to be that close to Texas for their salt-free stuff. My aunt lives in Pearland, TX. and I spent some time there many years ago. I remember being in awe seeing all the older vehicles, some you NEVER see around here, still on the road and putzing along with Z-E-R-O rust. Keep an engine in it and running they seem to stay on the road forever. Would love to get an export salvage company going ;) You are definitely fortunate that a day's worth of driving could net you an ultra clean body of your choosing.

Edited by Bushwick

Chance are the engine is fine.

I flipped my GL.......Spent about 30 mins with a winch getting it flipped over and drove it home.  That car was totaled, but that engine is now in my Girlfriend's loyale.  Runs great.

I would worry more about an engine that's been in a front impact.

Edited by Gloyale

I'm seriously thinking about trying to pull it.

Just to have a spare if nothing else.

Inspect and see if it runs. It might smoke a bit. Any engine smoke (as long as not from gas) is probably going to be normal. Listen for knocks or noise that don't exists on yours. If the exhaust is disconnected, it'll be extremely difficult to detect some noises. Be suspect if they disconnected the exhaust. If they pulled the battery and say "we can't start it because no battery", offer to bring a battery with you. If they are OK with that, probably have nothing to hide if all the car did was tip over. If they stammer and do everything possible to prevent you from trying to start, then be suspicious. I'm guessing the money they area asking is within your "acceptable" range to be worth the effort. If it doesn't work out, consider one from a Pull-A-Part and set a side a day on the weekend to go get it. For $150 (roughly) plus a tank of gas, it might be worth it to you to grab one, though hearing it run probably won't happen.

Here's the brief history of the car.

I helped my niece find/go get it. Drove 6hrs one way to pick it up. It has just over 200k on the motor, probably 40k on the transmission. HGs were done about 2k ago, before we got it. (Done right I might add). She had been driving it almost 4 weeks. There weren't to many other issues with it, a couple, but not major.

So it really pains me that we're back to square one almost with her transportation, her family hasn't had the best of luck with vehicles.

Anyway, the car will be @ their house, so I can go pull and check things any time.